Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sore nails on cat and ongoing problems

lisa in alberta
September 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I have made an appt for my cat at the vet on Monday (3rd time in 2 weeks), but I thought I would also seek advice from you guys. My cat recently started limping and favoring her right front paw. I checked her paw, and one of her nails looks like it has dark blood under her nail and a dry pad. I am not sure what caused this. She is having trouble walking on it, and I am worried she is in a lot of pain. She had her nails clipped at the vet last week, and I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. Also, she was started on Cisipride last week since she is having diffiulty having bowel movements (has megacolon). Even though she has been getting the recommended dose, it has been 5 days since she last pooped.

It is so stressful on both her and myself bringing her to the vet, but it must be done. Does anyone know of how I can treat her paw in the meantime?? I have to wait till Minday afternoon to bring her to the vet.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Lucky Rescue
September 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I really don't know about the nail. She could have an infection in the nail bed, or maybe it was cut too short. Try gently cleaning it with a very dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide and if there's no improvement, you should take her to the vet.

The megacolon is a worse problem. Here's a good article on this problem. Hope it helps you!
http://www.internetvets.com/articles/megacolon_in_the_cat.htm

cpietra16
September 10th, 2005, 09:04 PM
If its an infection you could probably use polysporin. I used it on my cat when she had an eye infection. Worked very well. Call your vet and see if that might help.