Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat biting her own nipple

Delia
September 10th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Hi. I'm new to this discussion group, and I wanted to ask if anyone has had this problem with their cat. My two year-old female cat bites her own nipple until it becomes bloody, in the course of grooming herself. She only does this to one nipple -- always the same one -- and the nipple is always bloody or has scabs on it. My cat does not display any other weird behavior. Clearly this is abnormal, but how dangerous is it? Why is she doing this? How can I prevent this from happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

justncase
September 11th, 2005, 02:53 AM
On the possibility that this may be an obsessive-compulsive type of behavior( however caused), you could try applying vitamin E( from a vitamin E capsule) to the nipple and putting a cone ( available from vets to stop pets from pulling out stitches after surgery, etc) on your cat for a few days at least until the nipple healed. Maybe if it was allowed to heal your cat would not find it as irritating and may stop the behavior. Maybe. Sometimes cats will do this if their diet is lacking in some nutrient. You could try adding some vitamin E, 1/4 tsp bone meal, brewer's yeast and dessicated liver tablets( about 5 tablets each, crushed) to the diet and see if that helps.

Delia
September 11th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestion, justncase.