Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ellen723

ellen723
September 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM
my 6 year old rotweiler is an indoor dog and lately she has been losing large clumps of hair, I have tried oatmeal shampoos and coal tar shampoos now she has starting scratching and when she does hair falls out. Does anyone know what the cause could be. She does not have fleas and my other dog dose not have problems like this.

lezzpezz
September 9th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Could be a host of problems: diet, allergies, immune issue....you should take her to the vet for a proper diagnosis. Could be a simple thing to clear up or could take a number of tests to get to the root of the problem. May mean diet change for instance, or something much more involved. Can't really diagnose over the internet.

Does your dog get any outdoor exercise? You state it is an "indoor" dog. Not sure what you mean....

justncase
September 9th, 2005, 04:50 PM
This may have more to do with something lacking in the diet than what any external application can fix. Try adding some fatty acids to the diet in the form of safflower or flaxseed oil. Brewer's yeast and vitamin E are also excellent.It can also be an allergic reaction to something in his diet- grains, soy, preservatives,etc. One dog was allergic to white bread in the form of toast he received as a treat each morning. Once that was stopped so did the scratching and hair loss.

ellen723
September 11th, 2005, 03:03 PM
When I said indoor dog she does go out usually to go to the bathroom but when it's hot she doesn't like to stay out. If it's cool she will stay and sun herself. She dose run alot when she' s outside.