Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergies

LuvMyBullie
September 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Hello Everyone

I am at my wits end with Gus's allergies. Here is a little background

The first breakout itching fest was 1 yr ago around this time of year. The vet suspected he was allergic to the grass. He gave him a shot I believe if my memory serves me it was a cortisone shot. He has great after that little itching barely any redness.

Now we are dealing with it yet again, but we switched vets because he has a heart murmer and required an ultrasound. Now this vet first gave me a medicated shampoo to wash him ( doesnt work) tried wiping him with allergy wipes ( no luck there). We ventured back to the vets for help they decided to put him on prednisone ( worked while he was on it) but now he is worse then ever; he has scratched himself raw, constantly licking his paws.

So here is a run down:

Cortisone shot
medicated shampoo
allergy wipes
prednisone

HELP....does anyone know if something that will help relieve his itchies?

raingirl
September 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
It's possible your dog could have allergies other than environmental, like food allergies. What do you feed him?

Second, ask your vet about giving your dog Benadryl. My dog (Bulldog) has had some worsening allergies this last week as well (I'm in Brampton as well, and the pollen there is ENORMOUS from all the farm fields around us). Usually Benadryl can be used for a few weeks during high allergy time to control symptoms. Your vet needs to ok this and give you the proper dosage info.

Just out of curiousity, which vet do you go to in Brampton. I have been going to North Town Vet hospital, but haven't been all that impressed with them.

LuvMyBullie
September 9th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Hey Raingirl
I bring Gus to North town as well . The only reason I go there is because they (Dr. Hylands) took great care of my moms dogs when they were sick, and becuase they have the facilities to do some things i.e ultrasound that most vets in Brampton do not have. I must say that some of the experinces I have had have been good while others terrible. Laurie the vet tech there is amazing though.

I was told by one of the vet there that because of his heart condition it wouldnt be wise to use benedryl. He is currently eating purformatrin Ultra Lamb and Rice which was supposed to be better for him "all natural"

raingirl
September 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Well. I will tell you from experience, that my dog did OK on lamb and rice, but was 200% better on Dick Van Patton Duck and Potato. The food you are on is pretty good, so don't worry about that, but it's possible they could have changed the formula or added something in the last little bit, which your dog could be allergic too.

I like the duck and potato because it has one carb and one protein, and no other additives at all. Potato is aparently the least likely carb for a dog to be allergic to. PLus it comes in wet, dry, and treats, all with the same ingredients, so you don't have to worry about your dog's diet getting messed up.

We got Allerseb-T soap from our vet, because our baby has problems with moist dermatitis on his feet and bum. We put a TINY amount in a little warm water and wash his feet when he comes in each time from a walk. That way we are keeping his feet dry (the soap is tar based and dries out in between his toes and his short spiral tail) and washing off any allergens from the grass etc. Maybe try washing your dogs feet when he comes in. He may be rubbing pollen on his face from licking his feet.

I like two of the vets at North Town, Dr. Benjamin, and...the other guy there (the one who wears a turban, but I always forget his name, he is AWESOME!) I haven't been too happy with Dr. Buller though. I like that they are open 24 hours though. I wish they had a holistic vet there as well. There is a holistic vet in Mississauga that I hear is REALLY good.

Susan Simmons, DVM
Heartland Pet Hospital
5950n Rodeo Drive
Mississauga, Ontario
Phone 905-501-1514
Small Animal

NICKY
September 16th, 2005, 08:16 PM
hi there :) just thought i would mention that i have personally seen homeopathic remedies work really well on animals in regard to itching (dogs and horses)... just thought i would mention this as sometimes this works in ways where the animal isnt required to take heaps of pharmaceutical products...

my sister in law had a horse that used to have scabs all over it and the vet couldnt fix it after she spent heaps of money, she asked my mother for help and within a few weeks the horse was all healed..

just a thought for you...

SnowDancer
September 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I agree with not using Benadryl due to heart murmur. Also suggest you do not buy a homeopathic substitute for Benadryl as same reaction is most likely to occur. (I am allergic to Benadryl and all anti-histamines and did try products from health food store - same warnings apply.) Other products for allergies are worth a try though. We once had a Lhasa who was severely allergic to everything - actually even almost to himself. Couldn't even sit on my lap due to allergens in clothes. He needed shots monthly, and did eat the lamb and rice food.

Prin
September 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Have you had allergy tests done? It might save you a lot of trouble...

The first breakout itching fest was 1 yr ago around this time of year. The vet suspected he was allergic to the grass. He gave him a shot I believe if my memory serves me it was a cortisone shot. He has great after that little itching barely any redness.

Jemma gets chewy feet from mid-July to November and it's ragweed. Grass is earlier- like from May to August. The key with the cortizone is you have to do it BEFORE the symptoms occur. It takes a while to kick in, and if the symptoms are already bad, it seems like it just stops them from getting worse. This year was the first year she hadn't ripped out all her fur between her pads, but then I gave her a Dentabone, which apparently has something else she is allergic to and now her feet are all itchy... No more dentabones EVER (don't tell her that, she loves them to death).

Oh, go here, and you can see which pollens are high in your area:
Claritin Pollen Report (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/pollen/index.htm)