Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Biting Cat

StinkyT
September 8th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I need to ask for some more advice. My 7 month old Siamese bites my 3 year old cat. I know they chase each other around the house a lot and they wrestle and stuff. But lately I'm noticing that he bites her too. A lot of times he'll want to play and straddle her, biting her around the neck area. Sometimes he'll just walk up to her, lean down and bite her leg or hind quarters totally unprovoked. Most of the time, they get along fine.

I wouldn't really care but a lot times it makes her yelp and this morning I heard her scream while they were upstairs and I was down in the kitchen. He's fixed and they've been together since we brought him home at the age of 6 1/2 weeks, so socializing isn't the problem.

When I'm home I can reduce the incidences. If I see it about to happen or happening I clap/stomp loudly and yell "NO" or "AAHH!"(I don't know why..), but I'm worried about when I'm not there. I don't want either of them seriously hurt.

Anything?

BMDLuver
September 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Maybe keep them separated when you are out if it's worrying you?

StinkyT
September 8th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I could... but then it feels like I'm punishing them by locking them up. Ideally I'd like to teach him to stop biting, I just don't know how. If making loud noises and saying "No" doesn't work, what will? :confused:

I know he's just a kitten and perhaps a bit too rambunctious now, I just don't want it to become a life-long bad habit. I might have to find a new home for him if we're getting into serious wounds and bites. I can't have them hurting each other.

Please note that I don't want to send him away! Don't jump all over me, that is absolutely a last resort I really don't want to have to consider. :sad: That is why I'm really hoping I can find some way to curb this biting.

jessi76
September 8th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I could... but then it feels like I'm punishing them by locking them up. Ideally I'd like to teach him to stop biting, I just don't know how. If making loud noises and saying "No" doesn't work, what will? :confused:

Are there serious injuries to your older cat? if so, seperate them when you're not home. When you are home, instead of No, try a water bottle or small water gun. give him a good spritz when he starts attacking your other cat.

chico2
September 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM
You said it,he's just a kitten...the 3-yr old is also not much more than a kitten.
You do not say how serious the biting is,I hope he does not draw blood.
My 3 yr old Vinnie,wrestles with my 10yr old Rocky,but when Rocky has had enough,he will get a little rough with Vinnie,sometimes I give them a little spray of water,but most of the time Vinnie will run off,no harm done.
Vinnie will tease Rocky,until Rocky has to retaliate and put the little punk(Vinnie)straight.
However there is never any growling or screaming..
Give your kitty some time,hopefully he'll quiet down..NO,never worked for me,I merely need to take the water-bottle in my hand and they will stop.

StinkyT
September 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM
She did have a mysterious cut on her back a month ago. We didn't find it until it had scabbed over. At this point we hadn't witnessed any biting, but he's so small it didn't seem likely that he could get through all that fur and cut the skin. We thought maybe she rubbed against a sharp surface and cut herself.

The scab never healed over and eventually pulled off. Under it was a small wound, not deep, but the top layer was gone. We cleaned it, cut all the hair around it off, put polysporin in the wound and wrapped her up in a tensor bandage. We only just took the bandage off recently, which was when I started noticing he'd take bites at her unprovoked.

Since then I'm suspecting it was him that bit down too hard one day while we were at work, and cats hide injuries so well. That's why we didn't notice it until much later.

I really hope he calms down. She's our "firstborn" and was really sick when she was a kitten. She's become very dear to us and is just the most easy-going and loving cat. Although he's affectionate and very much a character if push comes to shove, we'd have to remove him from our home.

Keep your fingers crossed, I'll try to keep an extra watchful eye on them. They're nestled together right now, looking out the window. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
September 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Your Siamese is at a particularly horrible stage of life! Adolescent tomcats can be quite a pain. Think of him as a 16 year old boy with nothing to do, but get into trouble.:p

He needs to get his energy out, and if there are no other outlets, he takes it out on your other cat, mainly because he CAN, the little imp!

Try and engage him in games that will tire him. A toy like the "Kitty Tease" is good for this - make him run and leap for the toy!

Personally, I would try locking him up when you aren't there. Make sure he has a window to look out, and maybe hang a birdfeeder just outside to keep him entertained.

The only answer for this is time!

StinkyT
September 8th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I think I've done enough research and hung out with enough animals to be able to handle such a small thing.. even though I know how *grrr* Siamese can make you.

At times I do feel like we should cut our loses and find him a home better suited for him, but then I think what would I do when I have kids and they don't get along?

I love him to bits and am hoping for the best. I keep repeating to myself, "Still just a kitten..." When he's not biting, he's just so entertaining and sucky. Even when he's misbehaving he's got that adorable face it's hard to believe he's so full of the devil!

I suppose keeping them separate is the best thing to do while we're out. We'll see how that goes. Thanks all!