Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

diarheea-infection

mamasboy12
September 8th, 2005, 10:23 AM
my dog had severe diarrhea for a week.I took him to the vet and he said he was really sick,and his teeth/gums had a bad gum infection.after antibiotic shot and antiflammoritory shot followed by a weeks of the same pill form.his gums are better his breath is great now.his bowel movements are fewer and not normal but seems to be getting there.anyway my question is ,is there something that can be done other then cleaning under anesthtic.I really dont want to that.he's 12years old.he had that done and his breath smelled in a week.to prevent infection from coming back.

raingirl
September 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Brush his teeth at least once every 24 hours to prevent plaque from hardening on the teeth. Might be hard to teach a 12 year old dog to allow you to brush his teeth.

However, if his teeth are already bad, you should probably have them cleaned first, then brush every day after that.

I found when teaching my dog to let me brush his teeth, that using something semi-liquid that he loved, instead of doggy toothpaste first, worked better. My dog loves baby food, so we used that on the toothbrush to get him used to it, then we slowly moved to a doggy toothpaste. Your vet should sell doggy toothpaste in different flavours. Don't use human toothpaste!

Prin
September 8th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Also feeding a really good food helps keep the plaque down. I've heard cow hooves are good for chewing to remove plaque too...