Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My vet says my puppy has allergies

april07
September 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I have a 7 month westie named Murphy. When we first got him he was diagnosed with coccidia,we got rid of that and thereafter he was having lots of soft stools. The one vet diagnosed him with gastroenteritis. After several weeks and no improvement we decided to get a 2nd opinion.Ever since he was 3.5 months old he had been very tired. Some days he'll litterally sleep all day. The new vet did numerous testing and said Murphy had allergies. He once had a cockerspaniel with the same symptoms and he was allergic to house dust.We 're doing a fod trial first,his stools are really great now but energy still very low.At the end of July he was making noises while breathing,very mucousy rasping sounding. We brought him in agin and the vet said that was another symptom, he then put him on prednisone.1/2 tab twice a day for 4,1/2 tab once a day for 4 and 1/2tab everyother day for 4 doses.He did well on the high dose then went downhill with his tiredness.we increased his dosage 1/2 tab twice a day for 7 days then slowly decreased it again he actually did quite well this time.Then this past weekend he really went downhill and his breathing was just horrible.On tuesday the vet said to give him 1 full pill twice a day (pills are 5mg)then today 1/2tab teice a day for 7days and we'll go from there. I'm quite concerned that he's only 7 months and being on pred.Has anyone heard of an allergy case like this especially the tiredness?any suggestions,thoughts?

Prin
September 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I don't understand what tests your vet did if he can't tell you what your dog is allergic to??

april07
September 8th, 2005, 12:43 AM
the vet just did bloodwork and he said it didn't indicate anything not working well eg.organs.He's not sure it it's food or environmental allergies or a combination of both.

Prin
September 8th, 2005, 01:05 AM
If he suspects that the allergies are really serious- serious enough to cause significant lathargy, etc, then he should have recommended allergy tests. It could take months to be successful at an elimination diet, and this poor doggy might still have his horrible allergies if it turns out not to be the food. If you have enough money (allergy tests are pretty costly) I suggest doing them.

Normally, I wouldn't stress it so much, but this doggy is not living! He's a puppy and he's missing out on puppyhood!

If this vet can't figure it out, you need a second opinion. That's my opinion.

BMDLuver
September 8th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Most vets will not conduct the allergy tests until the first frost or before the grass grows to get better results. :)

Did you get him from a breeder? If so, what does the breeder say?

wAggie
September 8th, 2005, 11:18 PM
lol, as always, blame the by breeder ;)

any-who.

at one point my vet suggested Chocolate had allergies to something or other. this was bc his skin was flaky in some areas. no signs of any disease/insects/whatever.

i got him on benedril (or whatever that allergy medication is) and then stopped.

it ain't worth it, he's not that bad, and i give him fish oil :love:

BMDLuver
September 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
lol, as always, blame the by breeder ;)

Who's blaming the breeder? The question was did they ask the breeder... why, because maybe it's a common thing within this Breeders dogs and perhaps they would be able to offer guidance. No offense, but don't jump to conclusions.

wAggie
September 10th, 2005, 03:37 AM
no offense taken, I know what I read btw the lines. ;)

Dragonfly
September 10th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Let's keep it civil.

coppperbelle
September 11th, 2005, 07:44 PM
This sounds much more serious than just allergies. I would really suggest to you that you get a second opinion. Have the vet run some blood tests.
What kind of dog is he and what are you feeding him?
I too would ask the breeder if you purchased him from one, if any of their dogs have or have had similar problems.,

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 08:45 PM
If this puppy has been ill for much if not all the time you have had him then his immune system has been strained and would make it very easy for him to catch a virus/ bacteria. I would check to see if these would cause similar symptoms.

april07
September 12th, 2005, 01:39 AM
I took him to a holistic clinic on friday (which i've had so many positive recomedations on)for another opinion she did some more blood tests and everything has come out normal.she did agree that allergies can make them quite tired if they are bad enough.unfortunately we can't do allergy testing until we get him off the pred. she gave him some herb stuff that should help incase the pred does damge(which we are trying to get him off of),somehow counter acts with him.he was on medi-cal vegetarian hypo food and she suggested i make a homemade diet for him which she provided.she says we should notice a difference in a few weeks with his energy and stuff.He is a westie and i guess they are proned to allergies and often don't do well on kibble foods. i really hope this helps.the past couple days he's been doing quite well so i'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

april07
October 1st, 2005, 10:06 AM
UPDATE:Thanks for everyones input. After a 3rd opinion and a switch to homemade food Murphy is doing excellent. He's lively,playful,mischievious,a normal little westie. :)

Lucky Rescue
October 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear that, and to hear your pup is off the prednisone, which is extremely damaging.

Some dogs cannot tolerate the high corn content in some of the less expensive commercial dog foods.

Ash&Marlee
October 1st, 2005, 11:29 AM
I'm so glad your puppy is doing better! Just wanted to tell you, my Lhasa Apso that lives with my parents, she has wheat allergies and is on special food. She also has a little asthma, but only acts up when she gets really hyper and runs for like 15 minutes. But the reason I am posting, our vets and groomer have both told us a med that is okay to give dogs for allergies is Chlorotrimeton (Sp?). If Maggie is acting lethargic, or sniffley, etc. we give her have a tablet. It seems to help, and doesnt' make her more tired. But if your puppy isnt needing it, great!

april07
October 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM
after switching Murphy to the homemade diet Murphy did great for 20 days which he hasn't done before this whole thing began. His last dose of pred was last wednesday where we had him down to 1/4 tab every second day. Since that last day we had noticed his activity decreased. Yesterday he slept all day like he used to and today looks like it's going to be the same. We thought he might have been tired more yesterday due to late nights,we got to bed last night early and still the same thing. It's so fustrating, we think we are past that and it happens again especially after that length of time.Is there maybe something in the pred with the combination of the food that makes him feel better? :( Any suggestions?

Prin
October 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Are you sure he's getting enough nutrients from his food?

april07
October 11th, 2005, 05:18 PM
the recipe is...
10oz of meat (i feed either chicken or turkey)
7oz of steamed vegetables
1 tsp of salt
750mg calcium citrate or bone meal
missing link (1 tsp as per package for his weight)

the recipe makes 17 oz and he eats about 10oz of it per day
the recipe was given from the holistic clinic so i assumed he'd get all the nutrients he needs.

BMDLuver
October 11th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Is missing link what adds the carbohydrates? I just don't see any carbs in there like brown rice, pasta... Just curious.

april07
October 11th, 2005, 05:41 PM
the missing link is a supplement
the recipe says to avoid carbs unless your pet has trouble gaining weight. Vegetables are used to supply the right amount os carbs.