Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Navel Hernia Questions in Pug pup

djkitten
September 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I think I've finally found my pug match :) But, the little guy has a navel hernia and I'm not too familiar on the subject. His current vet says he's fine right now, but what sort of complications or costs might arrise in the future? Does anyone know any average costs for surgery? I called my vet, but they said they couldn't provide an estimate without doing an examination. He's about 9-10 weeks old, and I'd like to have a little more information before either driving the hours to go get him, or having him put on the quick flight down here...

Hmm, I guess that's another question. I normally wouldn't consider flying a pug, but the flight is only approximatly 65 mins long... what opinions do you all have on this?

Thanks so much!
Danielle

StaceyB
September 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM
They usually never cause any problems for the dog and if you wanted you could have it repaired when your puppy gets fixed. It is usually caused when mom pulled too hard on the umbilical cord when the puppy was born.

djkitten
September 7th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Well that's good to know :) Do you happen to know an appoximate cost to fixing it?

Sadie's Mom
September 7th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Are you thinking of purchasing this pug from a breeder? I would personally be very wary of any breeder that would put a dog on an airplane just to make a buck...

djkitten
September 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Not a breeder... But it sounds like she found someone local to pick him up :/

sigh