Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bulging Disk in dogs

svhick0
September 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Out of nowhere, my small, terrier mix dog (looks sort of like a mix between a rat terrier and chihuahua) was not walking very well and appeared very disoriented. We took her to the vet and he took X-rays and diagnosed a bulging disk. She is on anti-inflammitories and muscle relaxers. Yesterday, she appeared to be 100% again.

Have any of you all had dogs with this problem? What are the long term effects we should be looking for?

SnowDancer
September 7th, 2005, 05:43 PM
What advice did your vet give you re limiting your dog's activities during the next few weeks and while on medication? Vet should also have explained a possible recurrence and if more than one disc is affected. This will determine long or short term prognosis. If you google the condition you will find out all sorts of information - much of it you will not like - but it will not mean your dog is facing worse case scenario. The fact that your dog is home with you and not on steroids in a increasingly smaller cage to prevent movement as back heels is good news.

the gang
September 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM
yes my min pin had a slipped disc, the meds do make them fell better just like us but i would call a dog chryo, they are great dakota is much better thanks to his chryo, good luck. :fingerscr

svhick0
September 8th, 2005, 09:20 AM
The vet said to immobilize the dog while on the meds. This is pretty tough because she is so active, but we are doing a pretty good job. She seems to be much better.

SnowDancer
September 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Immobilization is what I thought. I went through this with mini Dachshunds - my first was a "pioneer" for surgery - every disc in back and neck - but prior to the surgery he was treated for paralysis with steroids at the vet's - had to stay 2 weeks each of 3 times - and as feeling returned to his body, they had to move him to a smaller cage to keep him still. He was a super Alpha dog so not easy. When his neck discs went, surgery had to be performed - and then his back went again same day. My second case was also bad and surgery had to be immediate - Stage II disc disease. But again many discs calcified. Just keep a very close watch and try and keep him still. He may never have a recurrence - or only a recurrence with the one disc. But at first sign of trouble, please take him to vet - if closed, go to an emergency - just in case more discs have enlarged. Not quite the same as Dacshund problem, but close enough that same care should be taken. Hope all goes well. I sure know how hard it is to keep pup quiet when he comes home - my Dachshund was brilliant - had one of our other not so brilliant Dachshunds open the crate for him.