Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat foaming at mouth due to pill

MOOSEDRY
September 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
hi all.

my cat (cline kitty) has a spot on her back that flares up now and again (she was attacked by a roaming tom back in the spring that bit her there). i usually squeeze out the infection myself, and she seems to do okay after that. just recently, the same spot on her back filled up again, and it was worse than usual. i took her to the vet, she drained it and prescribed baytril (clavamox makes her vomit). well, cline kitty was doing fine except for the medication. yesterday she was having no part of taking the pill (first dose), and she foamed at the mouth during the struggle (i assumed it was because it was in her mouth for so long). same thing again today with the foaming. i called the vet's office, and the assistant said it was probably just because she was stressed, and i should crush it up in her food. i crushed it up and gave it to her in some tonic lax, but then the foaming started again. at this point, i'm not going to give it to her anymore. anyone have any ideas about the foaming? is this a reaction to the drug, or just stress as the vet's assistant suggested? HELP! :confused:

melz
September 7th, 2005, 11:12 AM
From my experience foaming at the mouth is normal with certain medications. Its nothing to worry about. My dog Mozart is currently going through the same thing with Metronidazole. Foams at the mouth every time, even if I sutff the pill into a piece of food. Only lasts for a couple of minutes. I just wipe it off with a wet cloth and he's good for the day.

I wouldn't worry much about it. One thing is for sure though, you shouldn't stop giving your cat her meds just because of the foam. Personally I think its normal for that to happen.

MOOSEDRY
September 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM
thanks for the advice. perhaps i'll continue to give it to her crushed up in the tonic lax. it's better than fighting with her to take the pill.

PetFriendly
September 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
According to my vet, most dogs and cats will foam at the mouth if they get something in their mouth that tastes really really bad. Its a defence mechanism to expel whatever it is from their bodies as usually the stuff that tastes bad is also dangerous.

Try coating it in peanut butter or stuffing it in some cheese (real cheese works better then the processed stuff for our pets)