Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are these blood tests etc really necessary ?

jki
September 7th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Am I being taken for a ride here?

I have 2 male Siamese kittens about 5 months old now.
The vet who has been seeing them is suggesting that various blood tests be done prior to neutering the kittens
The tests range in price from about $75 to $150 for each kitten, plus the cost of the neutering itself

Are these tests really necessary or is this vet merely trying to sell me additional services which are not really needed?

I have the feeling that I am being taken for a ride here.
Your help would be appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
September 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Just as we have blood tests prior to surgery, vets like to do this with animals also.

Personally (and I'm NOT saying anyone should do the same) I do not have pre-neuter/spay blood tests done on young, vigorous and healthy animals.

But there is always a chance, however slight, that even a pet who appears perfectly healthy can have a hidden defect that could cause trouble during surgery.

It's really up to you!

CyberKitten
September 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
My vet did not recommend blood tests prior to YY's spay surgery. That said, she did have bloodwork during her first exam to make sure all was OK. I did not do the feline leukemia one tho - she came from a well known breeder and there was no indication for that. Just the basic bloodwork. Now, I;d have bloodwork for an illness - but not pre spay unless the kitty was unhealthy. You have to decide for your kitties - based on their health history.

Prin
September 7th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I always get them done before the first time they go under anaesthetic. You never know how healthy they really are and it's better to be safe then sorry... :) And then once they approach their senior years, if they ever have to go under, I get the tests every time. I just don't like not knowing the risk first.

CyberKitten
September 7th, 2005, 04:16 PM
When YY had her spay, she was 4 months old andf had already had her bloodwork done during her first exam. So we knew she was healthy. But yep, I do agree it is essential in eldery kitties or those who have not already had a meet the vet and get checked out visit. :)

jki
September 8th, 2005, 09:16 AM
This vet did do blood tests on the kittens when I first brought them in for their shots etc.

Although prudence is usually good, this is one time where I just can's shake the feeling that the vet is exploiting guilt in selling me unnecessary services.

Believe me it is not the money. I can well afford the cost. But I just do not think that these tests are really necessary.

I have had lots of other animals in the past and most of them never ever saw a vet and never had a sick day either

BMDLuver
September 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
If you don't trust the vet about services offered or suggestions... then I'm curious as to why you would let him alter your pets? No offence meant by that but as an example, if my vet makes a suggestion I agree to have it done.. as I trust him fully in all aspects of my pets care.