Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walk a Pittie?

Me and Kayla
September 7th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Took Kayla for a walk this morning. She was a lunatic. Having not been off the leash in 3 days and only out of the muzzle for short periods of time (while outside), she was almost beside herself. She almost yanked my arm off trying to get to the other dogs in the park so that she could run, play...etc..
Anyway...while in the park, a fellow dog person suggested that I should look into putting Kayla on a treadmill to try to burn off some of the energy 'before' she gets to the park, so that she is not so crazy with the other dogs. I should point out, that she was not aggressive with them, but more like a bulldozer.

The point of this story....I don't have the room or money for a full size treadmill in my house, and I looked at the internet and the only dog treadmills I saw are in the U.S. and VERY expensive. Has anyone seen a reasonable dog treadmill that is available in Canada and if not, why hasn't someone invented this? Considering that there are going to be a ton of pitties soon in Kayla's 'state of mind', I think this sounds like a good idea. It's not a substitute for a nice long walk or socializing, but for those dogs that need a lot of exercise, this could be great. Hmmmmm...maybe a few of us should combine resources and design one. It's bound to be a hit in the dog world, don't you think?

Me and Kayla

babyrocky1
September 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Ive seen cheap ones on the shopping channel LOL! I dont know anything about them....never really go the point for humans or animalsLOL I like to get somewhere when Im putting forth that much effortLOL I did want to mention though that Ive been looking into exercise alternatives as well and may be able to access indoor space in my building for at least an hour a day. Very large space! So I was thinking that when I get past my latest financial hump and maybe closer to the bad weather that we might think of getting a few doggies together and hiring a trainer to come to us there. Also its a great safe plaace for play dates. I di dn't want to update the pit bull coop thread just for this so Toronto pit bulls....lets think about starting to get together again. On the weekends i still have use of the outdoor fenced yard.

Me and Kayla
September 7th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Count me in as usual Babyrocky. :)

I'm all for any exercise alternative. Think I'm still going to explore the dog walking machine though. Visions of snow storms are dancing in my head.

Me and Kayla

Schwinn
September 8th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Hmmmm...I'd probably have more success with getting Daisy on one of those than I have had so far trying to teach her to peddle...

babyrocky1
September 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Hmmmm...I'd probably have more success with getting Daisy on one of those than I have had so far trying to teach her to peddle... Ha Ha Schwinn, Im wondering though, have you tried the more traditional role of the dog running beside the bike? LOL Actually this is a serious question, one of my ideas, since he has made me take a "dive a few times while trying this on rollerblades is getting a bike so Im interested in your experiences.

kangaroo
September 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Ha Ha Schwinn, Im wondering though, have you tried the more traditional role of the dog running beside the bike? LOL Actually this is a serious question, one of my ideas, since he has made me take a "dive a few times while trying this on rollerblades is getting a bike so Im interested in your experiences.

While I've never personally used one I've heard great things about Springer: http://www.springerusa.com/

-kangaroo

Me and Kayla
September 8th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Ha Ha Schwinn, Im wondering though, have you tried the more traditional role of the dog running beside the bike? LOL Actually this is a serious question, one of my ideas, since he has made me take a "dive a few times while trying this on rollerblades is getting a bike so Im interested in your experiences.

Maybe I can help you with this one Babyrocky. I'm still sporting the bruises from my ever so graceful flip over the handle bars of my bike when I tried to take Kayla around the school track. We were doing really well until a darn squirrel caught her attention. She went one way, the bike went the other way and I went over the bars. Never again! I'm too old for this! :sad:

Me and Kayla

babyrocky1
September 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
This is just what Im afraid of Kayla and me...thts why Im thinking of a bike like contraption but somehow not so easy to tip. Ive seen some three wheelers that might work and also Im wondering if adding the trailor might help and then jRocky could get in if he gets tired :crazy:

babyrocky1
September 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM
While I've never personally used one I've heard great things about Springer: http://www.springerusa.com/

-kangaroo Hey that looks great Kangaroo! somewhat more portable than the design I was imagining LOL I cant see the picture very well on this monitor, Ill look again at home. Thaks for the post. Did you check that out Me and Kayla....willing to try again?

Lucky Rescue
September 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
That Springer thing looks great. I'd love to try it but can picture myself flying through the air if Chloe spots a rabbit. :cool:

love my dogs
September 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM
how about just hitching him up to a cart, and let him pull you in it? Or in the winter, a sled?

babyrocky1
September 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I know hes supposed to be a "working dog" but he has never really been into that kind of thing LOL I bought him saddle bags, cute red ones, all he had to do was carry a few things home from the store...out right refused to move..just sat there looking stubborn :crazy: I had been considering a wagon to see if he would pull Brandon so thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried anything like that?

love my dogs
September 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM
No, I've never tried the cart thing myself, but pits are supposed to be good at weight pulling. I've definately thought about it, Duke is only 10 mnths, but he has such determination, I could see him just loving it. It would be great excercise, and he would feel such accomplishment....I think! Like I said, I've never tried it, but I see in Duke that he loves working really hard to do something. (when he's not sleeping)

kangaroo
September 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM
That Springer thing looks great. I'd love to try it but can picture myself flying through the air if Chloe spots a rabbit. :cool:

Supposedly the springer has an "emergency release" type mechanism in case the dog gets caught around a pole, or tree, etc. I assume (if thats true) that the springer would release in the event of strong bully going for squirrel / rabbit. Some one would have to try it out and see (as I said; I never tried it :), we're looking into it as a new exercise alternative for Max with all this stupidness going on)

-kangaroo

Me and Kayla
September 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Supposedly the springer has an "emergency release" type mechanism in case the dog gets caught around a pole, or tree, etc. I assume (if thats true) that the springer would release in the event of strong bully going for squirrel / rabbit. Some one would have to try it out and see (as I said; I never tried it :), we're looking into it as a new exercise alternative for Max with all this stupidness going on)

-kangaroo

It would only take Kayla one try to figure out that 'release' and now I would have a loose pittie (with a taste of freedom) on my hands to worry about. I'd have to drop the bike and go try and fetch her from her squirrel chase. If I take it without the release mechanism then I run the risk of injuring her or myself. Besides, it only absorbs 90% of her jerks and tugs. What about the other 10%? LOL

Me and Kayla
Paranoid?? Who me???

Schwinn
September 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM

I would love to, except I wear clipless peddles (which means I'm attached to my bike like ski-boots) and I have visuals of Daisy chasing some small woodland creature with me and my bike being dragged behind her ("Hey, look at the dog pulling that bike and the pudgy guy!")

I've thought about some type of quick release leash (they have them that apparently attach to your waist), but after the time dumb-dumb decided to keep trying to play with the porcupine despite the fact she was starting to look like a giant koosh ball, I've decided against it. Roller blading hasn't been a problem because I'm strong enough that I can stop her from pulling me if I want to, and Daisy is usually pretty good. My wife, who does roller blade with her, did have one incidence where Daisy decided to stop suddenly behind Cheryl without her noticing. She actually was strong enough to jerk Cheryl up in the air and land on her leg, fracturing her leg. Lesson? When your dog says she has to stop to use the washroom, she means NOW!

Copper'sMom
September 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Me and Kayla, is there somewhere you can take your dog to try her out on a treadmill?? Maybe you can ask a Fitness Center for permission, just to give it a try?? OR you could go shopping for one, bring the dog and ask to try it out - just sound like you really are buying one, but you just need to be sure first! lol Then, maybe you could look into a used one...........eventually.

My mom has a treadmill($$$) and I tried to get Copper on it but he wouldn't budge. He's a lazy bugger anyway! I am going to try Zoe on it though - one of these days!

Weight pulling is good! I was thinking of having Zoe pull a sleigh around this winter! Put antler ears on her and let her pull my niece and nephews!! Good exercise for her to wear her out!! Oh and Copper will probably just sleep by the fire! lol

Lucky Rescue
September 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I know hes supposed to be a "working dog" but he has never really been into that kind of thing LOL I bought him saddle bags, cute red ones, all he had to do was carry a few things home from the store...out right refused to move..just sat there looking stubborn :crazy: I had been considering a wagon to see if he would pull Brandon so thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried anything like that?

Both - the saddlebags and cart - are good ideas! But you have to get him used to them gradually. A dog who has never had anything on his back might get confused and frightened of the saddlebags or cart harness.

Just do it a bit at a time and praise him insanely when he accepts the saddlebags! I know my dog loves to please, and when she finally "gets" something, I praise her like she won Gold, and that makes her so happy she sometimes has a zoomie fit!:p

Schwinn
September 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I had a dog who, when he saw the roller blades on my feet, would sit calmly in front of me, and then as soon as he heard the "click" of his leash *POW* he'd be off like a shot. I was the only one who could rollerblade with him. I'd let him run for a block or two, and he'd love to pull me. I also had taught him left and right, so he'd turn on command. And, I learned, NEVER touch a dog's tail while they are pulling you at full speed. They stop very quickly...you don't

lezzpezz
September 9th, 2005, 03:57 PM
As luck would have it, I own a Springer Dog jogger. They are very cool but do have their downside. My dogs just absolutely love this thing! It comes with 3 safety release plastic tabs that adjust to 2 or 3 lengths, if you will. It basically has 3 holes in it that you can attach your line to. On each of the first 3 times I took my husky Lennox out with it, it released as promised.

First time: dog attacked us, Lennox pulled away and released. (all okay)
Second time, HUGE city lawn mower decided to start his motor and it freaked poor Lennox out! Snap! (all okay)
Third time...can't recall, but we went azz over teakettle! :eek:

It is not as easy to keep a big dog running beside you as the video footage on the springer site shows. Your dog has to be pretty well behaved and trained to stay put and not pull your bike astray. Lennox is 85 lbs. I am not strong enough to keep him in place all the time. Bathroom breaks are imminent!!

Rosie, Pyrenees, likes to stop and smell everything and I end up pulling her instead of her keeping pace, so that's out! She also likes to walk in to the front tire, so I have to keep her at a distance with my foot!! Not safe at all.

Dawson, collie/chowX picked it up right from the get go. He is superb with this thing! Mind you, we have only tried him on the street, with no other dogs. Each dog is different but it sure does tire them out once they get going and have no distractions.....

babyrocky1
September 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone, Lezzerpezzer, it does not sound like these things are as safe as I was hoping...it takes time to train your dog to do anything like that and since I live in a highly populated area, pretty much a bike and blader paradise for humans, he would have no time to adjust...maybe it isn't the safest idea for us. Ill have to dig out his saddle bags lOL but Im really hoping to find someway to run him on leash and I cant jog cause of the arthritis. Even when he did rollerblade with me he didn't really seem to enjoy it, and he has done to me exactly what happened to Cheryl, just decided to sit it out while I was ging fulll speed, when my arm jerked I let go of the leash, I had to chase him through parks while I was still on my blades LOL Thank God I caught up to him or he let me catch him eventually before he hit one of the roads! Poor Cheryl, has she given up on blading with Daisy now? BTW Lezzerpezzer do you remember how much the springer thing costs?

lezzpezz
September 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Sorry to take so long to reply....forgot that I was involved in this one until just now....

It cost about $50 Canadian, and that was about 2 years ago. I got it at PetSmart or some big conglomerate chain store. The hard part was finding and ordering the extra release tabs. Had to order direct from Springer, USA and it took a while. Now I have misplaced the envelope :confused: and have just been using a rope with no release. We just stick to the dead end street and repeat laps safely :highfive: Kinda boring but it gets their exercise in!

lezzpezz
September 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Here's the website where you can watch footage and order:

http://www.springerusa.com/

babyrocky1
September 15th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks Lezzerpezzer, I just stopped on my way to work at a bike store. The woman said they have them at the bike shows and shes going this weekend to check them out. She said that the first time she saw them she didn't think they would work so didn't buy them for the store but when I told her a bout the quick release she said shed look into it again. I like to actuallly test these things out first, especially since I don't even have the bike yet! I also inquired about the three wheeled bikes, thinking they would be harder to tip over so Rocky and I are going for a test drive shortly!

love my dogs
September 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM
You mean like an adult sized trike...lol....I've never heard of such a thing, do they really have them?

Will you put streamers on the handle bars? :D

babyrocky1
September 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Exactly....did I forget to post, "no snickering please" LOL actually lots of people have them in Toronto, theres a huge basket in the middle of the back 2 tires, almost big enough for a pittie to take a nap on a long road trip :crazy:

babyrocky1
September 15th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Will you put streamers on the handle bars? :D No I dont want to detract from all of the Anti-Bryant paraphenalia that I will be sporting on my designer vehicle! I always wanted to get some of those cool bumper stickers but no room on the roller blades!

love my dogs
September 15th, 2005, 05:40 PM
What??? No streamers? Well then you will have to have a "punish the deed" flag instead.....oh and a horn....or maybe a bell! ;)

babyrocky1
September 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Now your getting the picture :crazy:

Schwinn
September 16th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Streamers are lame...you need Spokey-Dokes!

Me and Kayla
September 19th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Streamers are lame...you need Spokey-Dokes!

What the heck is a Spokey-Doke?

That three-wheeler bike option sounds good Babyrocky. Lower to the ground so it won't hurt so much when I hit it going full speed. :highfive:

I love the idea of the cart and wagon/sleigh too. I'm definitely going to try her out on the treadmill and some of these other ideas before I invest in them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Me and Kayla

Schwinn
September 20th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Spokey-dokes! All the cool kids have them! (And yes, I did have them on my old mountain bike. They scratch the wheels on my current ride, so I don't have them...which my wife is very happy about).

love my dogs
September 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
schwinn get with the program.....spokey doles are sooooo last season.....it's all about the handle bar streamers now! :D

StaceyB
September 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I have suggested to students of mine who have a tread mill to use it for dog exercise. They do quite well on it.