Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urgent - Need Information ASAP regarding removal of abused pet

VisionSeed
September 7th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Before I start, I'll give you a bit of background. I live with my girlfriend and my 1 year old German Shepard X. 2 nights ago, my girlfriend and her mom were visiting a friend. The friend was taking care of a 9~ month old rottweiler. The dog is absolutely beautiful, however, it has been abused by the true owner. The dog is highly underweight, very sketchy around people, and anything that moved quick. It has adapted nicely to our house, and the dogs get along great. However, almost every bone in the dog is visible as it has no fat on it's body, and poor muscle build. It's teeth and eyes are dull, as well. The stomach is bloated, in the same way you see with children from poor countries. Also, the dog is going to be breed on it's first heat. Being someone who loves dogs more than most people, I was absolutely not going to give this dog back to the owner. We haven't been able to take it to the SPCA, and tonight we got a call from the friends that the owner is coming to take it back. I vowed that they would not get this dog back unless it was over my cold, dead body. However, what legal rights do I have in this case? Please reply as soon as possible. Any help is much appreciated.

Georgiapeaches
September 7th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I honestly have no idea what legal rights you have. I am assuming the owner has the right to take back their dog :mad:
But, the first thing I would do is take her to a vet asap to be checked out and recieve whatever medical care she needs. I would get the vet to write down his/her opinion on the current condition the dogs is in and whether they would feel comfortable returning her to her owner, which I highly doubt they would if she is in such poor health. From that point on I would contact the SPCA, with the vet papers.

mona_b
September 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM
To be honest,you have no rights.Unfortunately if the owner comes,you MUST give the dog back.I know,it doesn't seem right.But that's just how it goes unfortunately.If you don't give the dog back,YOU can be charged by the owner.

What you need to do is call the SPCA ASAP.Get a hold of the Cruelty Investigations.Tell them what is going on.Have them come down and see the pup.It is them and only them who can take the dog.And it is them who will do the laying of charges against this person.

chico2
September 7th, 2005, 07:35 AM
First,thank's for helping this puppy,we must help those who cannot help themselves :love:
I would contact the SPCA like Mona suggested,an examination will tell the condition this poor dog is in,this person should not have his dog back.
Unfortunately breeding is not against the law,but abuse is,if it can be proven.
Many people will turn away,not wanting to get involved,but in my view if we do nothing in the face of abuse,we are just as guilty as the abuser.
Chances are however,depending on the SPCA,if this puppy is skittish and frightened he might not be adoptable and his fate is sealed,either way.
Thank's for doing your best!

BMDLuver
September 7th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Where do you live?

mars
September 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
do you know anyone who might want the dog? you can say he ran away!? what a horrible spot to be in. it seems like the only way to help the pooch is to be underhanded, but i guess it can't be that easy. is the dog chipped?

Prin
September 7th, 2005, 10:31 PM
You can't let the doggy go back!! Poor doggy!!! She ran AWAY! She did! I saw her go!

Pomermaniac
September 7th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I work at a SPCA/Shelter...CALL ANIMAL PROTECTION SERVICES for your area. Every area has one. Call them now and tell them what you've told us...
Where do you live? I may be able to help you with this, but the main thing is to do something RIGHT NOW.

Pomermaniac
September 7th, 2005, 11:19 PM
By the way, make sure to get every personal detail about the owner...address, full names, phone numbers, everything!

mona_b
September 7th, 2005, 11:25 PM
do you know anyone who might want the dog? you can say he ran away!?

Think about this.

Someone takes the dog,so now Buddy(owner) get of scott free for neglecting his pup.Gets another,and does the same.

Wouldn't you rather see Buddy(owner) get charged for cruelty?