Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This is urgent......

justncase
September 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Urgent help needed for the animals rescued from the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. They will be euthanized if temporary homes are not found right away. Please crosspost wherever you can.

crossposted with permission

PLEASE CONTACT FOR INFO

Lynda V. at: 203 515 3024 (cell)
Home: 203 227 5308
Email: Lynda@portone.com

Transport Provided to Anywhere - Room Desperately Needed! (For the Animal Victims of Katrina)

There is transportation provided, with people ready and waiting, for upwards of 200 dogs and 150 cats so far rescued from the devastation of hurricane Katrina. What these animals need is a place to go. Kennels, boarding, vets offices, shelters with any extra space, foster homes and rescues. Even one or two open kennels would greatly help.

From what we know, all animals have been vaccinated and are in good health considering the conditions. There are dogs and cats of every breed and size. Some are in groups of two, three or four, hailing from the same family, while some are solitary. ANY KENNEL SPACE AVAILABLE CAN CERTAINLY BE USED. These drivers are willing to move these animals ANYWHERE they need to go. Absolutely anywhere.

The current safe houses for these animals are being inundated and some of these pets will have to be euthanized if they are not moved to make room for the incoming animals.

Please feel free to pass on this information everywhere. Every forum, every list, every community.

REMEMBER THESE ANIMALS WILL BE TRANSPORTED TO YOU.

If you know anyone, anywhere, that is willing to take in even one cat or dog, please have them contact Lynda at the information provided below.

They are also asking for ANY kind of donations for the animals - money, food, bedding, water, etc.

Please Contact Lynda V. at: 203 515 3024 (cell)
Home: 203 227 5308
Email: Lynda@portone.com

Please contact at any time, day or night. These volunteers, rescuers and shelter workers are working around the clock.

Katze
September 6th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Just,

would you happen to know what organization that posting is for?

justncase
September 7th, 2005, 12:02 AM
From what I understand, the person mentioned is spear-heading the efforts of various groups who, if they took their time away from rescue efforts to man the phones, etc., would find it impossible to do both. Of course, any person interested in offering a temporary home would, perhaps, want to inquire further and find whether or not they were comfortable with the arrangements.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 7th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Thats sad, I asked my husband if perhaps we could foster a dog until it could be reunited with his owner. Not sure what his answer is right now. I wouldn't normally want to do this right now. As I dont think we are ready for a second dog right now, but maybe under the circumstances there may be something that could work for us.

I dont know whether they would transport all the way to BC though.

lilith_rizel
September 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I asked hubby if I could foster a dog or a couple of cats, just emailed him, hopefully I will have an answer today, and I can call......

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 7th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I will work on my husband today. I just posted this on my own family blog site. Currently 27 members on it. I am hoping they can help and also spread the word. Maybe some of them may be willing to foster too. They are spread throughout the United States (California and Nevada) and Canada (Ontario and BC).

Luvmypit
September 7th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I know you say sent anywhere but even Canada? Toronto area?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM
WEll I personally dont have a go ahead on the foster situation yet, but there is another person on another forum in Southern California that is willing to take in 3 or 4 dogs and even a few cats. She said she is anxiously awaiting a reply!

lilith_rizel
September 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM
:sorry: Hubby said no. He has good reason too. We are over our limit on pets right now. And that if we would have more, even fosters, we would stand the chance of eviction, plus money is an issue for us. And with the new baby on the way, we wouldn't have time for a 4th pet..... Even a foster. He really wish he could help, but he said he will pass the word along..... Oh how he wishes we had a place of our own. So do I. If that is the case, he would readily open our home to the entire lot if we could afford it... but the way it is right now, we are struggleing to make ends meat, and it is usually by hubby and I not eating as much as we should, and just have 2 small meals a day....

I really wish I could have helped on this issue......

Luvmypit
September 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I kinda got a yes. He's very hesitant (hubby) but knows how I feel about this current situation. BAsically said that let him know in advance of any cases that may come to Canada and we will go from there. So Just in case please keep me updated and I am sure I can make my closing arguments and have a dog stay with me until need be.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 7th, 2005, 07:19 PM
My hubby said no too. I am not giving up though he originally said no to Joey but then changed his mind so maybe there is still hope. In the meantime I am trying to pass on this message to as many as I can.

He is worried we may be prepared to handle the dog that we get,which in fact may be true. and also as Joey is still fairly new to us. I dont know if you get a choice. Not to be picky as they pets are needing somewhere to go, but being a bit inexperienced and having kids we would have to consider that. Still I am hoping he changes his mind.