Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Female Dog Humping BF

anzypantz
September 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Hello all! This forum has been so helpful and informative!

We have adopted a 10 month beagle puppy about 3 weeks ago. Since we have had her, she has been in heat. We think she is in the last stage of her heat since it seems that she has some dried white stuff around her nipples.

About two days ago she started humping my boyfriends arm. She climbs up on his forearm and bites his shirt as she humps away. She seems to also bite his arm sometimes too. We tell her no and make her stop, but she keeps returning to this. So far, she has not done this to anyone else. Could this be a dominance thing? a heat thing? Any other suggestions? I would really appreciate anyone's input. Thank you!

chico2
September 7th, 2005, 08:23 AM
You should have her spayed as soon as possible,most dogs and even cats,do pretend-humping,it makes them feel good I suppose....but having your dog spayed will lessen the desire and also keep your dog happier and healthier not having to go through heats.

PetFriendly
September 7th, 2005, 03:05 PM
From what I've read and heard from vets and trainers, its a dominance question. That is your pup is trying to figure out who's boss, who's not and where she fits in to the whole mess of it all.

You might want to start some obedience classes with her (or get a book and do it yourself) and haveing her spayed is a good idea even if its unrelated!

anzypantz
September 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Thank you so much!

We do plan to have her spayed, but we just took her in about 3 wks ago, in the beginning of her heat. We were told to wait until its over to have her spayed.

Do female dogs really have dominance issues? This is my first female dog, I have always had males in the past.

PetFriendly
September 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Do female dogs really have dominance issues? This is my first female dog, I have always had males in the past.

Every dog needs a leader, even a female one, they are just usually more subtle about finding out who it is :D . And I'm not saying your dog has dominance issues, just questions about who's who and who does what, that's all.