Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eating problem

CoJoCo
September 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I have an 10 month old bichon/shih tzu. Probably in the last 2 or so weeks, She will not eat her food... she nibbles.. thats it. She otherwise is fine... drinking her water, her "outdoor" duties are normaland playfull. She does however want to eat my other dog's food .. he is on a special food so we do not let her touch that! (we now feed him separate from her). The breeder I purchased her from (reputable) is adamate that I keep her on the food and not switch her (we have her on pedrigee smart start). The concern I have is she is feeling skinny (to me anyway) ... It is getting tuff because she seems that she is hungry ... ... ... she gobbles up her "pottie" treats....

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks bunches

Daizy
September 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM
If this is your dog and she doesn't like her food, why is the breeder adamant that you keep your dog on food it doesn't like? It's really good that the breeder is concerned about his/her pups that she bred and have gone on to new homes, but surely, it would be better to change the food to one she will eat as how can not eating be any good her.

BMDLuver
September 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Personally, if the dog is skinny and not liking the food, I would try introducing a new brand. Ask the breeder if he/she prefers a dead dog or a live dog? Not that it's at that point but seriously I would be telling the breeder to myob. :o

CoJoCo
September 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I love the breeder where I purchased this dog... they have been very helpful.. of course up till now... But I am however switching her to something she will eat regardless of their wishes! :grouphug:

Prin
September 6th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Could you ask if you could feed a better food? Research brands and present the breeder with ingredient lists and ask... I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't let you switch from a corn food to a food with meat.

Otherwise, maybe you could mix in a little of some really good canned food (like Merrick). Merrick Pet Care (www.merrickpetcare.com) (go in the "entrees" section and into "dog", then "canned".

mona_b
September 6th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Your breeder(not reputable) should not be telling you to keep your pup on a food that she won't eat.And having her starve.I would definately try her on another food.

Here are a few premium canned brands.

Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance

Newmans Own

Solid Gold

Eagle Brand Holistic

Shaykeija
September 7th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I agree. When I got Sophie from the breeder they had her on Purina. Crap food. I have her and Missie on Dick Van Pattons Duck and potatoe and they eat it like there is none tomorow. I actually think Sophie,the Shih Tzhu stands on her face to get it all out of the bowl. :p Get your dog on a better food and remember to do it slowly or you risk having a poopy dog for a while.

keenya
September 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM
our puppy was the exact same way.. she would not eat... we tried everything from kibbles and bits to summit to pedigree... the only way we could get her to eat any of that was to mix it with wet dog food that actually had real chunks of meat in it... the other dog that lives here can only eat that science diet dog food because she has a very sensetive digestive track... my puppy tried that and she wont touch anything else anymore...

i say if the dog will eat the other.. let them.. its better than them starving...

if you dont want to do that.. try mixing the wet dog food in it too... also some of the pet stores told us that some dogs dont like the crunchy food... you can try adding a little bit of warm water to the food your dog wont eat... or try adding warmed up meat broth... our dog loved that...