Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone use pet health insurance?

Lucy's mom
September 6th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Hi, I'm new and I finally figured out how to Post a question and say hello.

I have a new 12 week old Ragdoll kitten (he's still nameless, so far), a 13 week old Golden Retriever pup, Linus, and my 8 year old American Shorthair cat, Lucy.

This past winter I lost 2 beloved pets, Calvin, my Golden to Cancer, and Sampson, the best cat ever (in my opinion) in neuro-surgery. Both were not old, so it was heart breaking. It was also very expensive. Now that I have 2 new pets, I'm thinking of getting them health insurance. I'd rather pay up-front and never need to use it. Does anyone have expierience with pet insurance? Would you recommend the company you're using? Are there pitfalls to watch out for? It seems that it hardly pays to take out the routine care, since the one company I called had limits and I think it cost as much as they give you. Thanks for any info on this subjuect.
Bella

gomez
September 6th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I have it, but I'm in the UK, so recommendations would be useless to you...

I would not be without it, they pay for almost everything.

Try to find one that says they cover your pet for their lifetime and with no caps on each specific illness (in total, some do have a yearly cap, but then it starts again the next calendar year)

If your pets are older they may charge you more, but still, get lifetime

I have found insurance to be totally worth the money, we also lost two kitties in the past and they were well covered - not that it makes it any better, but at least you will not be so out of pocket...

Daizy
September 6th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I use Pet Plan and have only had a small claim earlier this year - I recieved a cheque within 7 days. It's worth having even if its never used (which of course is preferable) as it just takes a weight off one's mind, as one never know's - time and unforseen occurance etc.

Lucy's mom
September 6th, 2005, 04:04 PM
thanks for your timely response, I want to get the insurance as soon as possible (may as well be covered). Petplan is one of the companies I contacted, and they can not insure in Massachusettes at this time, so I have to use another company. I contacted VPI (veterinary Pet Insurance), they gave me a Quote for all 3 of my pets, but they have a $4,500.00 limit per illness. I need to contact them again to see if that's renewable each year. A pet could get sick and need to be treated for years. Also, when my cat Sampson was sick, we spent almost triple that amount trying to save him.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 6th, 2005, 07:23 PM
WElcome, I am planning to get insurance but not sure what company to go with or how much coverage to get. One company I dont remembre which was 10,000 coverage for $10 a month is that enough. IT seems like a lot but if you end up having a sickly dog then maybe its not.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 6th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Well this thread got me off my butt. Well not really I am still on my butt at my computer, but I just signed up on line for pet insurance through petplan. I am paying 19.99 a month for it. There are other companies as well so I am sure you could find one.

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Although not available in US as yet, VetInsurance (vetinsurance.com) is working on providing coverage in the US. You can type in your state and the site will provide you with information as to when/if it might become available. At the moment it is available in Canada - and will cover costs if animal is injured or becomes ill in Canada or US. This plan covers $12,000 lifetime per pet with no limit per procedure. It is basically accident and illness insurance. If you needed the whole $12,000 to cover a dog run over by a car, so be it. Hip Dysplasia is excluded entirely - as are pre-existing conditons. Maybe wouldn't hurt to check out the site. I like it because of the $12,000 lifetime. I used to have a plan that cost almost $80 a month - pay that for 6 years, then pay $6,000 for surgery and then get $1,500 back. Made a lot more sense to open a bank account, which I did for our current dog. But then I learned about this particular plan so signed up. Rates increased at age one - and since I waited until 32 days ago when he was 16 months we fell into the 1 - 3 age category - so costs CDN $34 a month (including our 15% taxes). Would have been $27 a month if under one year, but then we haven't been paying the premiums for the past 13 months and would not have had any claims to submit. Preventative care must be provided of course to qualify for health care. Once you sign up, there is a 5 day waiting period for accident coverage and 30 days for illness. We are now officially "insured". Our dog has long legs and I know what a broken leg would cost in terms of treatment - then I have had to learn all about cruciate ligament and luxating patella - things I did not have to worry about with my Dachshunds - but that was a far worse story.

Daniac
September 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I'm on Medallion with Petplan, around $60.00 a month for a Great dane and it gives you unlimited coverage with an 80% co-insurance. I've made a couple of claims and they've paid out promptly.

Lucy's mom
September 8th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I did it it. I signed up for health insurance for my 3 pets. For the puppy, I included routine care, because he still needs his last set of shots and will be neutered, so it was worth the additional $99.00. I have to wait 2 weeks before I can use it. I'll let you know how it works out. I have a vet appointment for the puppy in 2 1/2 weeks. I paid an extra $27.00 for the year for the puppy's insurance to have double the amount allowed for Cancer treatment. My last Golden died of Cancer and I'm thinking if I have a lot of insurance for that disease, we won't get it. The kitten was only $137.00 to be insured for the year. My older cat was almost twice that. Hopefully, this means they all stay healthy.

BMDLuver
September 8th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Who did you end up going with? I'm paying $50 per month on one of my dogs as they are in the high risk category for hip dysplasia etc.. Your's seems far more reasonable. :thumbs up

wAggie
September 8th, 2005, 11:15 PM
no thanx to pet insurance.

the monthly payments are far more than what it would cost to actually take ur dog in...

i got 2 dogs, and i take them annually, plus for any issues that/if arise throughout the year.

no insurance, no thank you!

imkrys
September 19th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Should You Decide To Get Pet Ins. My Vet Told Me That For You To Be Covered You Should Get It Before Your Pet Has Some Kind Of Illness. Our Dog Lucky Suffers From Low Thyroid. I Thought About Getting Insurance For Him. Since He Has Been To The Vet Already For This Problem If I Was To Get The Insurance I Wouldn't Be Covered For Any Treatment Related To Low Thyroid. He Is On A Special Duck And Potato Diet, Sometimes He Needs A Shot Of Steroids, Some Special Shampoo For His Skin, And Usually Developes An Ear Infection When He Doesn't Feel Too Well. Then An Cream To Apply On His Skin. Lucky Is Also Allergic To Egg, Soybean, Rice, Corn And Lamb. When He Eats His Proper Diet His A Happy Camper. Sometimes He Finds Something He Shouldn't Have Like Our Labs Dog Food And He Starts Getting Itchy Skin. I Would Get The Insurance Now If I Were You. No Matter What Every Pet Owner Will Have To Make The Trips To The Vet For Check Ups Or Medical Care And We Will Have To Pay It Somehow. Save Yourself Some Cash And Invest In It. You Can Enroll Dogs, Cats, Etc... Just Like A Family Plan. Cover All Your Pets If You Can.

kayla
September 19th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I'm a little confused about how pet insurance works and was hoping someone could help me out. Could I get it and cancel it at any time or do I have to commit for life? For example, let's say I notice my dog walks a little funny and I suspect hip dysplasia. Could I get the insurance, then get it checked out, then the insurance company pays for any possible treatment, then cancel my insurance once it's all done?

Also, would the insurance pay for the vet visit, even if it turned out negative?

Also, how would they find out if you knew about the condition before? Could 't you just switch vets so that they don't have your records?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 19th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression if you wait until you suspect hip dyspalsia then get the insurance you may not be covered, like if you wait until your dog has cancer than go get insurance then he wont be covered.

My old dog never had insurance and we did need to spend almost 1000 in vet bills when he became temporarily paralysed the vet told us that if got the insurance after the fact they wouldn't have covered it.

kayla
September 19th, 2005, 11:36 PM
But what if you just suspect, and there has been no diagnosis but you just want to get insurance before going to a vet about it? I mean, how could they prove you suspected anything?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 19th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Probably not I guess, you can go on to a pet insurance website and get a quote, mine was 19.98 a month for my 6 year old male english cocker, it depends on breed, age etc...... they also ask for the microship, name of vet etc. I did end up getting just the basic insurance.
http://www.petplan.com/index.aspx

kayla
September 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM
I went there and got a quote for $30/month. But I wasn't sure what to mark her breed as since she is a mutt of who knows what (lab/shepherd/boxer/etc) so I put "shepherd mix" since that seems to be the concensus. She's just over a year old. I think I may be overreacting but I've noticed a slight limp on and off over the past couple weeks and want to get it checked, but someone at the dog park just went through hip dysplasia surgery with her lab and it cost an arm and a leg to fix, so i'd like to get insured before i see the vet about it. If I have to pay for it myself than so be it but I'd rather not if I can avoid it...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 20th, 2005, 12:04 AM
It is funny how your one year old dog is more expensive then my 6 year old dog, I think larger dogs are more prone to hip dysplasia maybe. If I were you I would get it now then get it checked out when you know you are covered. It took Petplan about 3 or 4 days to email me back me confirmation. The first month is pro-rated so the charge you a 15 dollar initiation fee plus the first two months.

Also check out other insurance companies too to see whats best for you.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 20th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I just read on my policy that if a condition manifest itself with 21 days of getting the insurance you wont be covered. Also accidents are not covered within 48 hours of the policy.

If you want to cancel you need to do so in writing.

kayla
September 20th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I just read on my policy that if a condition manifest itself with 21 days of getting the insurance you wont be covered.

I wonder how they define this. She would have had hip dysplasia since she was born if she has it right? Could they say since this illness was always there that they won't cover it?

Also, I looked at vetinsurance.com and it says they have a $12,000 lifetime coverage. Once this is used there is no more coverage. So I was wondering, let's say you used a bunch of this insurance right away, could you then just cancell? I'm so confused about how insurance works and would love any help!

kayla
September 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Well I just bought the standard plan with petplan at $30/month. I can cancel at any time. I have to pay 20% of my claims and $100 deductable per year. As long as there is no medical record of hip dysplasia before 21 days from now I will be covered. She doesn't appear to be limping anymore today, but I feel better with insurance just in case as she is at high risk for CHD..

Anyways, sorry for the thread hijack Lucy's Mom!