Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Here's letter to HS re:sickly dogs I found at petstore

lezzpezz
September 6th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Feel free to comment....these guys were in dreadful shape and I surfed the HS site to see if I could leave a request via email to have this place investigated....

I was at **** Pet Centre, **** Dundas St., this weekend and was dismayed to see the sickly dogs and cats that they were selling at outrageous prices ($600++!), for "reputable" breeders, as I was told. None of the 3 dogs in feces-filled cages were willing to get up or move from the lying position, even with verbal coaxing from myself. One pup in particular was laying in his/her own mound of "green" runny poop and I could hardly tell that it was alive, except for the barely discernable rise and fall of it's chest! Same with the little white crossbreed pup. The only one standing was a mini american eskimo(?), but he was not making any movement at all. A healthy pup should be excited and active, not nearly unconscious. The cats were just as lethargic, although 2 siamese were meowing profusely .

When I asked the female clerk where the animals that they sell come from, she said, "a breeder...." after smirking and looking down at the floor. When I asked if it was from a reputable breeder, she said "yes". A reputable breeder would not sell their animals in a pet store setting, for one thing.

The clerk then offered that the kittens are just from folks whose cats have had litters and they want to get rid of them.

I am assuming that these poor souls are mixes and mutts from a local puppy mill and none have had any healthcare, temperment testing etc. I am very worried about these animals as they looked very pathetic and unhealthy and I don't think they will live too long without proper attention.

I was hoping that you could investigate this for the sake of the animals as well as for any unsuspecting individual who ends up buying one of these as a pet only to have to shell out big bucks to try and save the animal's life due to ill health. These dogs did not look well at all and I believe that intervention is necessary for their survival......

I would like to know how this turns out and if these poor animals recieve proper care. I would be interested to learn if this store will still be allowed to sell animals if they are indeed found to be from a puppy mill situation.

Sincerely,
Lezzerpezzer :o

I hope this helps these little fellas out :fingerscr

lezzpezz
September 6th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I must be on a letter writing campaign lately! I just got a reply from the HS re: the letter I sent in this orning! Let's hear it for email!! The fellow says:

Dear Leslie,

Unfortunately, I cannot release any of the information that results from my investigation to you, but please be assured that I will be investigating this matter.

Sincerely,

Ed Small

Manager of Investigations,

London Humane Society,

Ontario SPCA Inspector.

raingirl
September 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM
wow. $600 + only? In toronto you see pups in similar squalor for $2500 to $4500 (I am not joking. I saw a bulldog pup for $4600 the other day! Broke my heart!)

Roxy's_MA
September 6th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Great work! :thumbs up Thanks for writing that letter, hopefully something will be done about those poor puppies & kittens.

StaceyB
September 6th, 2005, 02:15 PM
No knowledgable person buys their dogs at a petstore because if they had researched they would have found(besides all the other stuff) that they would have been able to purchase from a rep breeder for equal but usually less than what a pet store charges.

lezzpezz
September 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
That's the rub though...not everyone is knowledgeable and just sees the cute puppy or kitten in the cage and has to have it.....These guys were all adorable, with the exception of being pretty much lifeless....not healthy puppy/kitten behaviour at all :( .

I can see the pull that some people feel to bail out the sweet things and nurse it back to health in a better environment. But we know that just perpetuates the problem. So, calling the HS seemed to be the proper route to take and as the reply states, it will be dealt with. I feel pretty good about this!!

Pomermaniac
September 7th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I think we just had one of these stores open up in Saskatchewan...does its name begin with "Pet" and end with "and"? :evil:

(I work at a SPCA/shelter) we're looking into them, along with Animal protection services...
For the second time they are having parvo run thru their puppies, although they haven't told the public and still allow them to bring their dogs in the store. :yuck:

Roxy's_MA
September 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM
For the second time they are having parvo run thru their puppies, although they haven't told the public and still allow them to bring their dogs in the store. :yuck:
OMG! That is horrible :mad:

lezzpezz
September 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I think we just had one of these stores open up in Saskatchewan...does its name begin with "Pet" and end with "and"? :evil:

(I work at a SPCA/shelter) we're looking into them, along with Animal protection services...

No, this is a little independant store that deals with mostly aquarium supplies, with an assortment of the sick 4 footed animals for sale.....I am very happy that HS is looking at this place.....I will try to swing by again, (in disguise :cool: ), to see if the animals have been removed etc. I'm sure they will ban me on site, so I will have to pretend to be another person! What do you think of this incognito hairstyle? :troll: or this? :crazy:

Georgiapeaches
September 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Great work Lezzer, I hope this store is stopped from selling pups & kittens. :thumbs up
The pups are most likely from a puppy mill :mad: .