Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbull fur problems

Me and Kayla
September 6th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Anyone familiar with loss of fur problems with Pitbulls? I don't think we are dealing with mange because she isn't scratching or appears irritated by it and it isn't really coming off in patches. It started on her belly and is spreading upwards. It's like an overall thining right down to the skin in some parts. The vet thought it was perhaps allergies, but without running a mass of tests she couldn't help me with anymore advice. I thought it was perhaps a natural thining in the hot weather, but it isn't stopping now that the weather has cooled a little.

Any thoughts?

Me and Kayla

bluntman
September 6th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Do you have a cat? Zena had skin problems a while back, and the vet had no idea what the cause was, antibioticts helped, but soon has the pills where gone the problem returned. I finaly narrowed the problem down to the kitty litter, Zena was helping herself to the cat doo doo, and this was causeing her rash. Another cause could be food related, you might want to try some holistic or BARF for a while and see if there is any improvement. Other than that, it could be flea's or mites. Mites were what the vet thought might have been Zena's problem, and the treatment is long, not a quick fix.

Lucky Rescue
September 6th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Is there redness, scabbing, itching, or inflammation? Is the hair loss symmetrical, and just smooth skin under the hair?

My pit bull gets seasonal alopecia from the changing length of days and loses hair on her sides, but there is no indication of any irritation or soreness of any kind.

What colour is your dog? Blue dogs often do have hair loss.

Alliescats
September 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Is it a possible food thing, have you changed food recently or fed it something it normally doesn't eat? We had a apbt/lab mix, 3/4 APBT he broke out in hives and had hair missing from the base of his tail. We had to take him off the cheap NN food and fed him a lamb & rice formula. He was fine after that....but the hives did happen in the summer too. :confused:

Me and Kayla
September 6th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Kayla is totally black with one quarter size spot of white on her chest. She is already on the BARF diet with suppliments of vit. E, C, fish oil, acidopholous (sp?) and a pro-enzime for digestion. The vet perscribed those. We did put her on straight turkey and rice for 6 weeks to see if that helped, but it didn't.

She only has two small red spots on her belly, but those are spots that she has had for ages (she worries them a little so they never quite disappear). They are not bad though. It's smooth skin under the hair loss. No rashes or hives or cats..LOL or fleas that I have noticed.

Initially I thought this was seasonal too, but since I've only had her for 8 months I don't know how she reacted in summers past. As it is still spreading though, I am ruling out the seasonal aspect.

At a loss here.....

Me and Kayla

pitbulliest
September 6th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I would consider going to the vet and getting a skin test done..they'll do scrapping and see what's going on...its better to check it out sooner than later just in case it happens to be demodex mange...or any mange for that matter

However, with that being said..my pit used to have some skin problems too..turns out it was seasonal allergies and she still gets it every now and then...pits are also proned to getting benign (?) tumors... which are usually harmless but can get pretty big sometimes..anywho..before I begin to blabber...I sugest you get a test done first so that you can have piece of mind.

Let us know what the outcome is so maybe we can help you out :) good luck

Me and Kayla
September 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I would consider going to the vet and getting a skin test done..they'll do scrapping and see what's going on...its better to check it out sooner than later just in case it happens to be demodex mange...or any mange for that matter

However, with that being said..my pit used to have some skin problems too..turns out it was seasonal allergies and she still gets it every now and then...pits are also proned to getting benign (?) tumors... which are usually harmless but can get pretty big sometimes..anywho..before I begin to blabber...I sugest you get a test done first so that you can have piece of mind.

Let us know what the outcome is so maybe we can help you out :) good luck

Thanks for the advice folks. Spending a ton of dough was sort of my last resort, but I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just go do this. I'll be buying a 'Ban the Deed, not the Breed' FUR COAT for her instead of the T-shirt if it keeps up.