Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anybody have skin allergies or reactions?

Prin
September 5th, 2005, 11:38 PM
The past three days, everytime I itch and scratch (not unusually), I get all swollen and red. It's like I'm allergic to my own fingernails! You know when a dog scratches a person who is allergic to dogs and the scratch gets all puffed up? That's what is happening... I'm starting to worry that I'm pretty severely allergic to something and I don't have a clue what it is!

Last night about 1/2 of my torso was all red and puffy! It's scary! I also get crazy bumps, too. I'm using Benadryl and benadryl cream but neither seems to work- they don't get at the source! :( It's scary? Should I go to the vet? :D :o

Anybody have a reaction like this before? Is it something to worry about?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 5th, 2005, 11:53 PM
It sounds likes hives are the bumps all wonky shaped. I got them one time never figured out what they were from and never got them again. My son has gotten them a few times but not lately. We never did figure out what it was for him either.

StaceyB
September 6th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Have you used a new detergent. If there are allergens on your body and you scratch the area it will let them under layers of skin leaving a reaction. I would have it checked out anyway.
You could also try chlortriplon.

BMDLuver
September 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I would go see the doctor Prin! As you recently started a few new meds, you may very well be having a reaction to one of them.

raingirl
September 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM
BMD, that's what I was thinking. You can develope allergic reactions to drugs all of the sudden. I never had an antibiotic in my life until I was 14, and then I got strep throat. I took a penicillin based drug and broke out in hives about 7 days after I started taking it. Turns out I was allergic.

Same thing happened a few years ago when I was on a Sulpha based drug. First time I ever took one and I was also allergic to it, but not as bad as the penicillin.

I suggest going to your doc or a walk in clinic. Bring your meds with you.

jjgeonerd
September 6th, 2005, 10:55 AM
My wife is like that. She's so bad they couldn't even do an allergy test on her because she swelled up just from drawing the grid on here back! She takes Zyrtec twice a day to control it. It just developed out of the blue about 4 years ago.

Good luck.

Jackie467
September 6th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I have a lot of allergies to everything :rolleyes: . If you are taking new meds you should definatly talk to your doctor. I was allergic to something this weekend when I went camping. My hands got really itchy all the sudden, I didn't really think about it and then all the sudden the got so swollen I couldn't even bend my fingers. I had to soak them in ice for about an hour before the swelling went down.

nymph
September 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Seasonal allergy is particularly bad this year. Apparently Benadryl would help with all sorts of allergies, but you should probably consult your family doctor before taking any medication.

For years I used the same kind of skin care products, and in the beginning of summer I suddenly developped allergy to these products. Once I stopped using them I'd be fine.

Prin
September 6th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I tried to call the endocrinologist this morning but he's on vacation till tomorrow. He said to beware of allergic reaction to the pills because a lot of people do, but hives weren't among the symptoms he listed... I took a reactine today (back to school :yuck: can't be itching all day...) and it worked like a charm. I was so hesitant to take my pills this morning though... I'll call again tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies. I never would have guessed that so many people had crazy allergies... :eek: :)