Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some spirit lifting

kangaroo
September 5th, 2005, 10:42 PM
By quick way of introduction I own Max, who is a 5 year old "pit bull" cross who was rescued from the Humane Society approximately 4 years ago. I have been a "lurker" here on and off at pets.ca for about a year. While feeling quite down about everything in the current environment my girlfriend and I actually had a very positive experience today that I figured I'd share in these troubling times.

We took Max out for a nice 3 hour walk today and part of it was @ Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto. While we stopped to get some Fish & Chips (@ Chippys YUM I might add) 3 people off the street came up and asked me what Max was; "Excuse me is your dog a pit bull?" in fact. I stated that he was in fact a pit bull cross; and is one of the most loving pets I've had in my life. These same people then proceeded to ask me about the new law that had passed and I was pleased to answer their questions. I wont go on in too great detail, but the summation of the story was a man (who was admittedly a cat lover and not a dog person) stated that he couldn't believe our goverment was commiting what amounted to genocide. He was also appaled at how Max within about 50 days would have to be muzzled and on a 6ft leash at all times (thus making getting his exercise extremely difficult).

Does it change anything? No; but it was extremely refreshing to find a non-owner sympathetic soul out there.

That being said; Max and I will abide by this law (along with Max's mom; who is having a VERY hard time with the muzzle; because Max hates it and he really did nothing wrong). We will at the same time support every fight against it and try to educate everyone we can.

Hopefully this gives a bit of cheer to some other people in the same situation as it brought a small smile to one of the last muzzle free days in Max's future for us.

-kangaroo

Dukieboy
September 6th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks for sharing and don't be a stranger!!! Come back soon and post pix of your Max!!

lezzpezz
September 6th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Yahoo! We need all the good stories and news we can get! Welcome aboard! ;)

Akeeter
September 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I guess i'm one of the lucky ones on this board. I don't have a Pitty or any of the other banned breeds, but if things go as they usually do with BSL-type legislation, I may have to deal with this stuff down the line. Most places that have BSL just keep on adding breeds to the banned list. (Instead of doing the logical thing -admitting it was wrongheaded in the first place.)

I'm glad you had positive interaction with people who don't own Pittys/dogs.
It's good to hear that more people than just the owners & breeders of banned dogs can understand the stupidity of both Bill 132 & the new DOLA. (Dog Legislation Act.)

Welcome to the board & hugs to your dog. :grouphug:

Lucky Rescue
September 6th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I can't say how sorry I am for responsible, law-abiding citizens being treated like criminals and having rights taken away, and for sweet and wonderful pets being punished when they have done nothing wrong.:(

I can't even be relieved that it hasn't happened here, as it very well could. But I guess being muzzled, and having a loving and dedicated home is better than being dead.

We can only hope this insanity is temporary.

babyrocky1
September 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Welcome Kangaroo, I take Rocky to Trinity Bellwoods after he goes to the vet and we ALWAYS stop for those chips!LOL okay I do...Rocky just gets a few. Thats a pretty dog friedly area. I know what you mean, I do get alot of people with positive comments but I have been muzzling Rocky about 50 percent of the time we are out and people really react fearfully to the muzzle, Some on the other hand are even more sympathetic and upset to see it happening. I dont have the energy to do the long talks with people about the bill, not since Ive been muzzling him anyway, Im too depressed, I just give this one liner if they look at me quizzickly "Good Dog-Bad Government" Probably Im just drained by this whole week and will get back on my soap box any moment now LOL

Luvmypit
September 6th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I have found people want to talk about it more. I certainly saw a change in attitudes from the bryant banned banned banned speech to now.

People will stop and talk to me or pet him. And capone always returns the favour with some kisses which just reinforces what us pit owners are saying. I bought a ban the deed T for capone and he will start wearing it on or before October 28th and I expect alot of people will want to talk about it. Im ready.
But I still see the looks and the crossing of the street. Just not as much.