Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bordetella

katy82
September 5th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Hello,

I just had a quick question. Since we moved I can't seem to find my dog Phil's vaccination records. I would like to put her in doggie daycare for a day soon and they require the bordetella vaccination. If Phil had all of her puppy shots done would this one be included or is this an extra vaccination on top of all the other ones. I thought I would post here since the vet is closed today and I can't call. Thanks!

StaceyB
September 5th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Some vets will just do it, some will suggest it, and others need to be asked by you to do it otherwise it isn't done. Some still believe that unless your dog is going to be in a kennel it doesn't need to be done but infact very few will actually get kennel cough in a kennel because it is mandatory that they have the vaccine before they are allowed in. More dogs are catching it in parks, walks, etc.

Prin
September 6th, 2005, 12:09 AM
If he asked you "Does she play with other dogs?" or "Do you go to dog parks?" and you answered yes, he might have given it. Otherwise, probably not. But I have been told that it doesn't last long (6-8 months) so if it has been longer than that, you might need another anyway.

BMDLuver
September 6th, 2005, 07:58 AM
The best bet is to wait and contact the vet. It's not common practice still for vet's to give Bordetella. Also, if she's due for it then it should be done asap because I think most places require it to have been done 10-14 days prior to a stay, a puppy class, etc...

katy82
September 6th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Phil didn't have the shot. We have to go in tomorrow and get it done. At least its only $14!

BMDLuver
September 6th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Just so you know... it will either be a vaccination by needle or liquid shot in his nose depending on what format your vet uses.

StaceyB
September 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Our vet alternates

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Katy - our guy had the shot because Kennel Cough was rampant in Toronto this year - plus he goes to his socialization class and also took a training class. Many vets do not include it as part of the "regular" vaccines as, much like the human flu shot, there are various strains of kennel cough and getting the kennel cough shot, might not prevent your dog from contracting it. In 1976, before vaccines were available, our Beagle, rescued from the Humane Society had a serious case of kennel cough - never want to go through that again. So far so good with the little girly guy. He now has another girlfriend - this time it is a young Boxer who is about to turn 20 weeks. Good think the little guy is neutered - and she will soon be spayed - can you just see it - a "Box-A-Mo". Doesn't bear thing about - I think the Boxer Body with the Eskie face might be preferable to the Eskie Bodie with the Boxer face - certainly there would be less white hair. Good luck with the shot or spray - we had to go for Stage I and then return for Stage II shot 2 weeks later.

canis
September 6th, 2005, 01:03 PM
The vaccine is licensed for one year, it used to be 6 months. However the vaccine is only as good as the last "version" of kennel cough. Much like thehuman flu shot it can only be developed to work against what is known. All 3 of my dogs came down with kennel cough on the weekend. It seems to be an exceptional bad strain this year and it's highly contagious. I think they picked it up a flyball tournament. It has a 7-14 incubation period. It can be transmitted by air, water, toys, tennis balls...

My guys are on antibiotics but if the meds will only work on the bacterial part so if this is viral it will have to run it's course. By the way my dogs had their vaccines.

Canis

heeler's rock!
September 6th, 2005, 06:31 PM
My vet told me that too canis. When I left my dogs at a kennel here, I asked if they required Bordatella shots, and they told me that when vets come up with something that'll cover all the various strains of kennel cough, then they'll require people to get it. Even my old vet told me it wasn't 100% and that my dogs could still catch it regardless. It just depended on the strain.

katy82
September 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Phil got the shot up her nose and she put up quite a fight!! It took 2 people to hold her down to do it. At least she didn't try to bite them she was just scared. Who knew a 20 pound dog could be so strong! She liked the vets up until yesterday but I don't think she does anymore.

SnowDancer
September 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I sure know how strong a 20 lb. Eskie can be! El will be due in January for his next kennel cough shot/or up the nose spray. Last time it was 2 shots - don't know what it will be next time. They gear it to whatever is most prevalent in area. But a shot is easier - and they know exactly how strong the seemingly innocent looking furball really is - especially the jaws, teeth and claws. Have fun at class.