Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spencer has a cut...

BeagleMum
September 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Spencer got a cut on his chin about 3 weeks ago and keeps scratching it open every day so it won't heal. I have been using Polysporin and we have been putting the cone on him so I hope it gets better. Now today (while he had the cone on) he scratched open s cut on his neck. I notices the scab there but it seems weird. It is almost like a lump with a scab on it. I am thinking of taking him to the vet to get it checked out.

What do you think it could be? Could it have been a hot spot that was left untreated or something? I have no idea what they would look like.

Can I use Peroxide on a dog?

Lucky Rescue
September 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM
It would be best to have a vet check this out.

You can use peroxide, but make sure you dilute it quite a bit with water. Full strength peroxide will destroy tissue.

Prin
September 5th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Could be an absess... If it's a lump... I think the vet is best to say what it is because we can't see the doggy or feel the lump...

raingirl
September 6th, 2005, 10:57 AM
could be a keloid scar as well. Especially if there was a long healing time, as collagen tissue will build up in the cut area as it heals, and increases the long it takes to heal.

BeagleMum
September 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Are those dangerous? It seems to be more itchy than sore. I am going to try to get into the vet tonight.

StaceyB
September 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I would get it checked to make sure it isn't an infection. It may need to be drained. Three weeks is a long time for a cut to heal. He may also need meds.