Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat peeing inside??

xFire Angelx
September 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Hey guys. I just joined here hoping that maybe someone could help me with my problem.
I just recently moved to a new house. I have 3 cats 2 of wich are used to being outside and not using the litter box anymore... except for my 3rd cat Smokey. We put the litter box outside to get the cats used to going out there then 2 days ago I took the litter box away and Smokey started peeing and pooping in the house on beds and in closets. I figured its because hes mad about the litter box being gone. So I brought the litter box back outside and hes stopped peeing and pooping inside. How do i get him to use the bathroom without the litter box?

badger
September 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I would think a cat that is used to going inside would be hard to persuade otherwise, and certainly not in the timeline you mentioned. I'd poop on your bed too! I'd have one litterbox outside and one inside. Over time, he might start going outside more often but no guarantees. How old is he?

Plus the whole issue of moving to a new place is probably unsettling for him. Too fast, Mum!

xFire Angelx
September 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
he's 4 years old.. I had the litter box outside for a week and took it away 2 days ago. I'm thinking about after a week of having it back out there to just start pouring the litter in the flower bed in the area the other cats use the bathroom and over time slowly decrease the amount of litter. but I'm not sure if thats a good way to go about it.

badger
September 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM
What if you go out and he's inside, what does he do then? I agree that litterboxes are a drag, and a bit fragrant sometimes :), but even for outside cats, it's nice to have a place to go when it rains. Whatever you do, do it slowly, or expect more accidents, s'all I'm sayin'. You didn't say if you had a cat-door, which would obviously make things easier.

xFire Angelx
September 5th, 2005, 05:44 PM
no there is no cat door... and yes i will do it slowly... smokey and the other cats are complete outdoor cats they havent used litter boxes since they were kittens yet smokey will not use anything but the litter box. i understand the move has been stressful for all the cats but im just curious as to whats got him so stubborn from switching to the flower beds or what have you concidering hes outside nearly all day and most of the night he will not go anywhere but the litter box.

xFire Angelx
September 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM
well i went back a couple steps with the litter box... and it worked for a few days but this morning my grandmother told me that a cat pooped on her bed yet again even with the litter box there. it's always on her bed nowhere else. we arent sure wich cat it is now. it seems as though the cat tried to cover it up by bunching up the blankets and the other times the kitty didnt do that. im at a total loss as to how to get them to use the litter box. can anyone help me with this?

cpietra16
September 8th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Do you know if the person you bought the house from had cats or any pet. When my friend moved into her new house, 1 out of her 4 cats just started peeing and pooping on every carpet. She first thought that something was wrong with him either emotionally or physically. The vet also told her that it may be just the move, stress and all.This behavior went on for 6 months and later found out that the previous owner had a cat, not spayed, and because of that,had many male callers. To make a long story short, her cat was obviously very sensitive to the smells (moreso than the others) and decided to mark his territory. This may not be your case, but you never know. She had to remove all the carpets and bleach the whole house from top to bottom. Helped a little but not much. Her husband gave her a choice the cat or him...against better judgment she chose him. :yuck: :yuck:

xFire Angelx
September 8th, 2005, 07:13 PM
im not sure about the previous owners. but my grandmother just recently moved in with us and she had a dog at my uncles(where she was living) so maybe the dog smell might be the source of this... although the blankets have been washed quite a bit since she moved in.

cpietra16
September 8th, 2005, 07:47 PM
My friend used bleach and it still did not mask the smell. The scent is very strong (especially cat spray) and cats are very sensitive to it. This is again just a suggestion to your problem. The cat did do it on your grandmothers bed..who did have a dog. May be if you try to change the cover completely. Good luck

xFire Angelx
September 8th, 2005, 10:33 PM
well the cat peed on her bed yet again... i have no idea what to do... i put the litter box in my grandmothers room so if the cat goes in there to pee or poo on the bed they'll see the litter box and hopefully use it... i dunno if thats a good idea or not but im getting desprate... my mother is convinced its my cat smokey(it might be him but all 3 cats have been inside everytime this has happened) and she hates smokey as it is shes talked about getting smokey a new home before and this might be her excuse to do that... im getting desprate here i dont want to lose my cat

mona_b
September 8th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Well the only thing I can suggest is to keep the bedroom door closed and don't let Smokey in there.The smell is there and this is why he keeps doing it.

I suggest you get rid of the sheets.By that I mean throw them out.Pick up some Natures Miracle.You can try and spray the mattress with it.It may take a few times.When you spray the mattress,make sure you soak it good.Grandma will have to find another room to sleep in for a while.

To me it sounds as if he is stressed.You took the litter box away,then brought it back.If he's using it,then just leave it where you had it.You know the saying,don't fix what's not broke.... :)

PetFriendly
September 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM
If you can stand it, try cleaning everything with vinegar. Sometimes the amonia in soaps just make the urine smell stronger.

As for the litter box re-training, keep him closed up in a room with food, water, bedding and a litter box. Untill he can reliably use the box don't let him have free reign of the house.

As a side, my boy-friends cat will ask to come in from outside to use her litter box... Despite the many places she could go outside...