Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant Cat Has Dark Brown Discharge...what is it?

Dresden
September 5th, 2005, 02:08 AM
I have a pregnant cat that has been having dark brown (red tinged) discharge since last Wednesday night. She is acting normal and eating, but I am wondering what this discharge is, and I'm slightly worried.

I took her to my vet last Thursday, and the vet did an x-ray and said there is one large kitten inside, and that she should have the kitten soon. The vet did not know what the discharge was, but when I called the vet a day or two later, she said that sometimes there is discharge the week prior to birth.

If anyone has experience with something like this, or knows what it is, I would appreciate some advice.

thanks

justncase
September 5th, 2005, 02:37 AM
The discharge is almost certainly blood-based and can be an indication of an impending miscarriage or abortion of the fetus. When this happens to people they are put on complete bedrest and usually the situation will right itself. Perhaps, for the size of the fetus( "one large kitten") in comparison to the size of your cat and combining that with increased activity caused this to occur. Perhaps if you implemented the same procedure and kept your cat in a quiet, no-stress,no- activity environment she may be able to bring the pregnancy to full-term. However, be prepared for an emergency trip to the vet's should this not happen.

heeler's rock!
September 5th, 2005, 02:38 AM
For pregnant women, dark brown or red discharge means get to the hospital asap. It could be blood, and only a vet will know for sure. If your vet says she doesn't know, find a new vet!