Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 Year Old Cat - Paralized back legs . . .

bella125
September 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM
We had to put our 2 year old persian cat to sleep today because we woke up this morning to him not being able to move or even feel his back legs, and was throwing up and had bloody diarrhea (sorry so graphic). Yesterday, he was perfectly normal with no signs of sickness and has never had any health problems before. We took him to the vet this morning and the vet told us that he suggests putting him to sleep because he was extremely sick. The vet said it would cost thousands of dollars (which unfortunately we do not have) to even find out what could be wrong with him. Has anyone ever experienced this happening in a two year old cat before. We have two other cats and are so heartbroken that we had to put this one to sleep. We want to do whatever we can to make sure the other two stay healthy. TIA for your help.

justncase
September 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
If you are in the U.S. there is something that is available that may have been worth trying for the paralysis . It has been very effective for other pets. However, it seems it was just one of your cat's conditions and not knowing what your vet had deemed the other conditions to be it would be difficult to say what also may have been worth trying. It's only when the pet remains alive, and certain things are tried that, if proven effective , one can keep them in mind for other pets. Once the pet is put down there would no point in suggesting after the fact.

bella125
September 4th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks. I am in the US. I'm just really confused on what happened today with my cat. He seemed so healthy when I went to bed last night and I woke up today and he was dying. I'm really just trying to see if anyone has ever had this happen to their cat and what the cause was. It just seems so weird that all of a sudden the cat would get so sick like this.

Roxy's_MA
September 4th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend :sad: