Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Dog In Villeray, Jean-Talon & Iberville

intravino
September 4th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I live in Montreal, Quebec and on Wednesday, August 31, 2005, my dog was suppose to have her hair cut at Monsieur Jeannot 2610 Bealnger in Montreal, Belanger street not far from Iberville They lost my dog and only called me after two hours(10:30am) and when I looked for her I was not able to find her. I checked in the alley and main ; side street.
She is a Female dog l'hapso apso mixed 8 years of age approximately 30 pounds.
Last seen on Jean talon & Iberville at 7:30 PM.the worst is that she has no collar or tag because she escaped without her collar.
she needs her daily medicine,very shy not too social unless food is offered but she may refused,she is spaded

She is an indoor dog who does not like to stay outside long. I found your website very useful especially for the dog park since there is not a lot of them in Montreal.I wished I knew it before so that I would have sent her to the groomers that were reccommended in my area and she would have not been lost. I would like to thank for your time for reading my post
Should you require additional please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail.

Best Regards,

Anna

badger
September 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure if the area you mentioned is covered by Berger Blanc or the SPCA. If it's in Rosemont or the Plateau, it's the Berger Blanc.

You should mention in your posters that she needs meds, then if anyone has decided to keep her they may think twice.

What you can do...

Distribute "Lost Dog" flyers, with a recent picture, in your neighbourhood: poles, alleys, veterinary clinics, convenience stores, grocery stores, pet shops, internet sites, newspaper ads…

Contact the Berger Blanc, SPCA, or any other animal rescue organization in your area. Call/email them & go there in person every day. Fill out lost reports & leave the flyer (picture).

Go out to look for your dog early in the morning/dawn (when it's quite out), with a box of its favourite treats. Make sure to bring a leash & collar.

Who to call/email/where to go...

Berger Blanc
9825 Henri Bourassa East
Montreal, Quebec
H1C 1G5
Tel: 514-494-2002
info@bergerblanc.com
www.bergerblanc.com

Jean Talon SPCA Montreal
5215 Jean Talon Ouest
Montreal, Quebec
Tel: 514-735-2711
info@spca.com
www.spca.com

Post "Lost dog" ads...

http://www.petfinder.com/post/classifiedhop.html
http://www.leuleu.qc.ca/
http://www.sergev.com/francais/frampfr.htm
http://www.canadastrays.com/search/...rov=QC&type=cat

Good luck. And when you find her (fingers crossed) you may want to consider another groomer...

Whoops, I just noticed it is Villeray. You'll have to check with both shelters to find out which one serves that area.

Lucky Rescue
September 4th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Not much to add to all the good advice Badger gave you, except to say "Reward" on your flyers, but do not put an amount.

So sorry to hear she was lost. Accidents happen, but for them to call you only 2 hours later is inexcusable.

I hope you find your girl soon!!

coppperbelle
September 5th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I am sorry to hear that you lost your dog. You received lotsod luck. of good advice but I would reiterate that you not only call the SPCA and Berger Blanc but go there yourself everyday. Good luck :fingerscr

intravino
September 6th, 2005, 02:26 AM
First of all I would like to thank you all for your advice and response it is very useful for us.

We go everyday to the Berger Blanc & the SPCA since they will not tell us on the phone if they have recieved the dog or not.

So far the latest news was that she was last seen on Wednesday night at Sagard Park (on Jean Talon street & Louis Hémon Street, in the Villeray-Saint-Michel area) and since then noone saw her. :sad:

We placed many posters and we also placed flyers in the mailbox near the area she was seen. But once again we have not recieved any news on her and noone seen her either. We also went to search for her very late at night after midnight and early in the morning before 7am. But there was no sign of my little girl. We tried the lease and her favorite treat and calling her name but in the area she was lost there are a lot of alleys and side street. It is very hardspot her since there is a lot of trees and bushes. The balcony at times they are open on the side but covered in the front we cannot see too clearly. I spoke to many people to know if they have seen her and some of them are leaving food outside in order to try to see if she would go to their house so that they can try to get her in the house in order to catch her.

Our doubt now is that someone must have taken her since she was not seen from Wednesday. I hope the person that has her will return our little girl to us. Especially now that it almost a week and she has not taken her medication. :fingerscr

I was wondering if there is anything more we can do? Since she was lost quite far away from home, since I live in St. Leonard (Robert & Lacordaire) and she was lost in the Villeray area? Do you think the dog is still wondering the street and hiding during the day (she loves food, that is another reason I was thinking maybe she went to eat int he garbage while she was outside all alone)?

We are all not able to sleep since we are always thinking where my little girl is now, if she is okay or where can she be now.

If by any chances you see her, you can attract/catch her with food she loves food. You can always e-mail me or call me at 514-567-7845. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping that she will come home soon. :fingerscr

Thanks for reading,

Anna
:(

badger
September 6th, 2005, 07:36 AM
You're doing all the right things, just keep doing them. Did you put posters up in the park where she was seen? Also, make a list of vets in the area and put up posters in their waiting rooms. Dog people hang out with other dog people and someone may have suddenly acquired a 'new pet'. What happens when she doesn't get her medication? Did you put her picture and info on those websites (Canada Strays seems to be out of commission)?

Keep going. What doesn't produce results one day can work on the next. Good luck, we've all got our fingers crossed!

intravino
September 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I found this very surprising, this morning I recieved a phone call from the inspector of the city of Montreal stating that I was vanderlizing and damaging the trees since I put the poster on it. They stated that the scotch tape will damage the pole and kill the trees. They gave me 2 days to remove it otherwise I will recieve a fine.... :mad: I found it quite strange since I had the posters up since last Wednesday and I recieve a phone call now about it. :confused:
I find it very disturbing, stressful and not fair since I find the posters would make the lost of my little girl more visible. I noticed due to the posters many people called us to gave us informations or advice. If I remove the poster it would make even harder to find my little girl and I might never find her again.
We did put posters on dog parks and the area that she was lost but now we need to remove them.
It is a great idea to put it in the veternarian office, I did not think of that but the one that was close by is closed.
I started to put the information on the website you gave me they are very useful, once again we thank you for the advice and help you give us.
For now I would just have to wait and hope to find her or wait for someone to call me or bring her to the animal shelters nearby. We all have our finger crossed and hope she will come home very soon. :fingerscr

cpietra16
September 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I don't know about the city of Montreal, but I would call them and find out where you are allowed to put posters up for your lost dog. I have seen worse vandalism with malicious intent. It sounds ridiculous and I am sure they have better things to investigate. You can always put this through to your local newspaper or the gazette for human interest story. I really don't know anything about the bylaws, but I am sure that scotch tape does not hurt the trees like staples would...and I have seen staples in trees in other areas of Montreal.

chico2
September 7th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Intravino,I was hoping to read some good news at the end of this sad story,but please do not give up,she is out there somewhere,hopefully someone is feeding her and taking care of her,someone who has not yet seen a poster.
The actions of the city is despicable and deserves a notice in the paper,I would write the local paper and maybe that way your lost dog will get more exposure.Good Luck!

Tess'Momma
September 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your baby. Please call and confirm with the city that it really is illegal. There are so many sickos out there that it would not surprise me if it was just a cruel prank. Do you have a neighbourhood paper there? I found that my best response (to my lost dog - she still is missing after 1 1/2 months) was putting a picture ad in the Pennysaver (don't know if you have this type of paper in your area, it is a paper dedicated to people selling odds and ends and small business ads that comes out once a week.) Best of luck in your search, I know how you feel.

intravino
September 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone,
It is not true what the city inspector told me, either she was trying to scare me or did not know her laws at all. After verifying the rules with the city council. Now we are more aware of the places that we can post the posters.

We cannot place the posters on trees either with scotchtape or staples it is forbidden. On the metal poles, which most of the times are light poles we cannot place the posters since the when removing the posters it will peel away the paint.

We can put the posters on mailbox, bus stop (we must be careful there is new cabin that forbid it), Hydroquebec poles (electricity poles) and most of the wooden pole. We can place them in depanneur (convienant stores), grocery stores, pharamacies,pet shops and vets.

I did post the my lost dog in the local newspaper (actually 3 local newspaper, they are similar to pennysaver) and we were thinking maybe the person that has her does not walk alot outside and hopefully they would read the newspaper.

We also will you lots of luck in finding your dog "Tess'Momma", we understand the pain & frustration your going through.

We did not give up we are still searching it is now a bit more than a week, the calls are getting lesser and lesser. I keep going to the animal shelter & SPCA and hope very soon we will find her. :fingerscr

cpietra16
September 9th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I hope your former groomer is helping with this search. Afterall they lost him. I would let them pay for placing the lost and found ad in every major newspaper in the area. They need to do their share. Now on a different note; I am not sure who would pick up a dog from a hit and run..and I hope it will not happen, but if your dog were hit by a car who would pick up the dog. Is it the city or the SPCA? I know when I lost my cat, this was the part I hated to do in case my cat had died. Its hard to do but at least it will put some closure. Then if no one picked up a dog than you know he may be still alive. I wish you all the luck

poodletalk
September 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Have you called rescue groups in Montreal, gerdysrescue.org Rosies animal adoptions, animatch? Maybe they heard something. When you go to the SPCA Montreal, do you go where the stray dogs are? Also, call the SPCA Monteregie, The largest no kill SPCA in the Province of Quebec. Sometimes people drop off "founds" dog there. Besides the SPCA'S and Berger Blanc, does your city have dog pounds? If you don't know, call your city hall.

intravino
September 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
The groomers that lost my girl only helped me for lets say 3 hours ONLY on the day she was lost. Since then they have never called to see if I found my girl or basically to have any news. They put a bit of posters up only on some streets they think the dog could have been lost. But if I needed to depend on their services and the posters they put up it would not be enough to search for my little girl. :mad:

We did contact the city of Montreal to now if they keep records or any animals that has been runned over. They only keep the record if the animal has a collar with id on it. They are the ones that also pick up the animals when they get runned over. Normally it takes several hours before they clean it. Since they lost my little girl without the collar it is impossible to find out.

The only dog pound & animal shelter in Montreal are Berger Blanc and the SPCA. I did make a lost dog report in the SPCA in Laval & the Berger Blanc gave me a phone number to file a lost dog report.

Thank you for the sites I went to verify it and was wondering the SPCA in Monteregie if I can do the same to call to report the lost dog.

Once again we hope we find her soon since it is more than a week. :fingerscr

cpietra16
September 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM
This may be far fetched, but is it possible that they may have given your dog away to someone else, either unintentionally or intentionally, and are using the "we lost your dog" story to keep you from really doing anything legal. I don't know anything about your groomer. Have you been going there for a long time? Has anyone ever remarked on how beautiful your dog is and wished to get one?
Why would they wait so long to call you. They deal with dogs all the time and know that if they called you as soon as she ran off the chances of finding her would have increased. she knows your voice, she would have come to you and they should have known that. If your dog is shy, she would not go to them especially if they groom her. My dog can't wait to leave the groomers and as soon as we go in and someone comes for her, she whines and runs for the door. It's very upsetting and I really feel for you. I don't know them but i am absolutely angry and outraged with their handling of this situation. I really hope she will be found safe and sound.

chico2
September 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I know now you are concentrating all your efforts on getting your poor dog back and I sincerley hope you do.
But these groomers should not be getting away with this,I am sure they have insurance,for cases like this,although money will not help you get your girl back,it might make this groomer think twice before being careless with another dog in their care.
Still,don't give up hope,she's out there somewhere :fingerscr

intravino
September 11th, 2005, 01:16 AM
It is the first & LAST time I went to this groomer (Monieur Jeannot). I would NOT reccommend anyone to go there. I know that my little girl looks like a puppy but she does have some gray hair and white near the mouth area. On her chest area we can see quite a lot of white & grays. I know that many people said they liked my little girl and wanted one especially when we travel to the states. It is very true that they are NOT professional to call me after 2 hours to say that my dog is lost!!! If they would have called me immediately I would have found her and since as your comment said they do reconize our voice and smell also.

We know two friends that bought the dog there and wanted to give them a chance. If only I knew the stories before, I would have NEVER trusted them with my little girl. Only now do I hear stories from people that the groomers (Monsieur Jeannot) has killed several cats and they sedate the cat or dog before grooming. I FIND THEM NOT PROFESSIONAL, VERY UNRESPONSIBLE. The problem is that probably noone had the ability or were heart broken to write their awful experience they had with Monsieur Jeannot since they are in business for more than 25 years, I think (I know for a long time). I can tell you the stories that I heared from people when asking if they saw my dog were not pleasant to hear.

My little girl does not like to go to the groomers or vet. As soon as she is a few steps away not even inside she wants to leave. When it is time to pick her up she wants to get out immediately. But from my previous groomer they told me they never had a problem with her. My previous groomer was working with the vet in the same office space. It is very IMPOSSIBLE to believe that she escaped from the mini van and from her collar. That is the excuse they gave me is that my dog ran away from the mini van and escaped from the collar + leash which is very hard to believe. FOR A PROFESSIONAL GROOMERS, normally don't they put the animal in a cage and bring them inside the groomers's place?

For now we do want to concentrate in finding her and we keep going to the SPCA and Beger Blanc but there is no luck yet. We trace all the steps she has done and asked people that live in the area if they have seen her. We put up lots of posters and give out flyers etc....the list is quite long. But for sure they will not get away with this. They lost my little girl which is a big part of our family. There is a big empty space not only in the house but also in our heart. I feel like a large part of my heart has been chipped off. :sad:

For sure we will not give up and hope we will find her soon or she will come home as soon as possible. :fingerscr

poodletalk
September 11th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Yes, call the SPCA Monteregie and tell them you lost your dog and give them a discription.If you have time, why don't you go there and look for your dog. You never now!

cpietra16
September 11th, 2005, 07:56 AM
What do they use to sedate the cats and dogs? If they killed cats before could they have given your dog too much sedative and could not get her up again.I don't want to make your search any more difficult but you should question the staff. Do they make a habit of lying to their customers? I really hope your dog is truly out there in a home ready to be found. I wish you all the luck and send you all the positive vibes you need for your search for your baby and the truth.

chico2
September 11th, 2005, 08:08 AM
CPietra,as awful as it sounds and I hate to say this,but it could be a possibility that they lost her by giving her too much sedative and with the possibility of a lawsuit,are lying,saying she escaped,seeing they've already lost cats to incompetence :evil:
What about the police??? With this groomers record,would not an investigation be in order? Or are pets not important enough?

Intravino,don't take my words as gospel,don't stop looking...the whole groomer business just sounds very suspect and very sad for you and your little dog :(