Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Warning about mints and sugarless gums!

BMDLuver
September 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Subject: XYLITOL POISONING

Cross posted from the Show/Breed/Whelp/Ped list:

Courtesy of 9NEWS.com -- Denver, Colorado

Tele is a 7-month-old Golden Retriever who loves treats. So, when
2-year-old Jordan started feeding her mints, she loved it.

"I was standing right there as my 2-year-old is handing one mint
for him, one mint for me type of game and it was literally six mints
later that we started seeing signs," said Lindsey Davis Jordan's
mom. Within 15 minutes of eating six mints, Tele was having seizures
and vomiting.

Davis took her to Aspenwood Animal Hospital on Colorado Boulevard.
Dr. Julie Kelly said when Tele got there, "she was basically in a
type of coma."

A frantic call to Animal Poison Control revealed that Tele was
being poisoned by Xylitol. "It is an artificial sweetener that is in
sugarless chewing gums and mints and some household baking products,"
said Kelly. "It is life threatening to dogs. They can die very
quickly."

She say veterinarians are seeing more cases of Xylitol
poisoning. "We are starting to see these animals that are getting
into peoples' purses or their children are giving them as treats and
dogs like to eat anything they can," said Kelly. Davis wants to warn
other dog owners.

"The compound is as close as a hands reach of the check out stand
so people need to know that this is toxic to dogs." she said.

Tele is back home and feeling better but the vet says she still
needs to be watched closely to make sure there isn't any permanent
liver damage.

marvandmisty
September 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
i just want to say thank you for posting that it is very interesting to know. i would have never thought of mints as poisoning to dogs. thank you again one more thing to look out for.

AliSam
September 4th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I thank you for that post as well. My friend's JRT loves mints (& gum), but luckily we haven't given him very many and what we have has been over an extensive period of time. It will stop immediately.

ILoveMutts!
September 5th, 2005, 01:05 AM
My dad has given cookies with xylitol to Leon in the past. Thank god nothing happened!

Prin
September 6th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Good to know. I somehow remember somebody giving their dog breath mints because of the doggy breath... Now all I have to do is remember who it was! :)

LL1
September 6th, 2005, 12:41 AM
http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?JServSessionIdr009=0tdzhkbok1.app25b&page=NewsArticle&id=16803