Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crawlies are back

Shaykeija
September 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Dang, looked at Missies tummy this morning and found a damn crawlie on her. Which means my house, Sophie and Piper are flea infested. I gave Sophie and Missie their flea pills all summer and Piper got the stuff that goes behind his head. Ugh I just got the willies. Anyway, even though the dogs have the pill stuff through their systems, can I still use flea shampoo on them?
Must have been from the neighbours dog> Crap crap crap. My husband laughs because Sphie sleeps with her butt up by my head at night and teases me that I am going to get butt fleas in my ears. Fool that he is. I just tell him he is going to be infested with crotch crickets. :p Any thoughts on the shampoo?

StaceyB
September 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
You could have brought them in. Call your vet, it is not recommended that you use more than one flea med at a time because of the risk of overdosing. If your vet ok's it, you should make an appointment for the groomer and while they are there fume out your home. It would be best not to have your pets or yourself home for a couple of hours once your home is sprayed. If you only treat one they will not go away.

beyond
September 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Like Stacey says, while your pets are gone, make sure you treat your home well, especially to eliminate and eggs or larva in your carpets or your pet's bedding. These are often tougher to kill than adult fleas. There's some good info on getting rid of fleas in your home here:

http://beyondfleas.com/home-flea-control.html

I hope that helps. Good luck.

melz
September 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM
hmm, my dog's hasn't gotten any fleas yet (lol just thinking about it i'm getting all itchy)

What do they look like? What should I expect to see if he ever gets any? When you spot them, do they actually move? How big are they?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be prepared.

Shaykeija
September 7th, 2005, 12:19 AM
They are small and the little buggers move (scratching myself all over now) like the speed of sound. I tried to catch one and no dice. The girls are going to the vet tomorrow so mom can throw a hissy fit at the vet about the medication that did not work and that I paid $150 for. I checked Piper and not one flea on him. Instead of pesticides in the house, we are steam cleaning everything. I am hoping to cook the crawlies. I did that last time and no crawlies to speak of. I am using a steam blaster on everything. That machine throws out hot enough steam to burn yourself good. Which means, if I burn myself tomorrow, the dogs will learn some new words. :p Oh yes, the little buggers are quite good at hiding on your pet. One minute they are there, the next hidden. UGH Scratching everything now.... :pawprint:

melz
September 7th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I was told to look for little back dots a little bigger than a grain of sand. But I noticed a bug like thing on mozart and caught it after a good 2 mins of trying to catch the bugger. It was about the size of a small fruit fly but brownish colour. Could that be a flea?

I combed through Moe's hair afterwards but didn't find any other. My father said it was probably just a bug that got into Moe's hair during a regular "pee" walk.

cpietra16
September 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM
When I want to see if my dog and cats have fleas I just put them in the bathtub, one at a time and run my hand through their hair. If you see black things (flea dirt) in the bathtub drop some water on it and if it turns red (blood) your dog may have fleas. When we lived in BC I would just let my dog go for a swim in the ocean and the fleas just disappeared.Very cheap way of getting rid of them...at least for the dog.

Shaykeija
September 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Yep that's a flea. Took Sophie today to the vet. Only cost me $30 for visit and anal gland clean. He said it was ok to use flea shampoo on her and Missie. Then to use an oatmeal shampoo afterwards to help with the itchies. They are both on program and he said it is working but they will still get bit. The crawlies are rendered sterile. Just what I need horny sterile fleas. :D I talked to him about Sophies allergies and he wanted to put her on predizone. Nope that stuff causes Cushings. I know I spelled that one wrong. I am trying Benadryl 2 x a day 25 mg. If that doesn't stop the scratching there is another drug out there as good as perdizone but without the side effects. It costs about $60 a month.

melz
September 11th, 2005, 06:56 PM
well i learned today for the first time what its like for a dog to have fleas. Just as I suspected, he's probably had them for a while now! This mean washing absolutely every single thing he had contact with or that my clothes had contact with something he slept or played with.

SO! At the laundromat I went, $54 bux later... then $100 in anti-flea-ticks products, this includes, shampoo, colar, and sprays for the furniture (couch, bed, rugs)... BAH! What a pain in the <beep> I just feel like crying. :sad:

So how long does it take to know if he still has em and I have to go through cleaning the car, the house and my parent's house again?

My friend says 2 days... says she knows someone who's went through all that jazz 4 times in a row before they disapeared.

I just got into my new apartment so I figure if he has em a second time i'll tell him that because of the super's incapability of doing a thourough clean up (painting and all that which he hasn't done!) I'll ask them to have the place fumagated <sp?>

yoda900_ca
September 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Having been down the flea road before, i should tell u to check for flea poop easier to see sometimes more than the fleas. It is a redish brown colour. (dried blood). If u have a white dog easy to see. If your dog is dark in colour put them over a pice of white paper and give him a good rub down. You will see small reddish brown fleck fall off. This is a really good chance that your dog has fleas. Good luck.

melz
September 12th, 2005, 11:53 AM
there are so many products for fleas, what's the best route in your experiences.

I was just told in another thread that the sprays are wasted money while doggie parents here at work say its the best. I'm affraid to go back home to having to clean again. Mind you i'll vacuum again and again if I have too its the having to wash everything that's a bother.

I haven't found any red specks falling off of him but I noticed tons of little black dots, big as a grain of sand in his fur. and when I washed him some flea like bugs came to surface (dead thanks to shampoo!)

anyway, what works for you?
I just called my landlord to tell them about it. maybe i can get them to fumagate the place cause some of my friends think the place could of been infested before I even moved there a month ago.

yoda900_ca
September 12th, 2005, 03:45 PM
small Black dots is proable the flea poop. U can get flea bombs. You have to leave the house for i beleive at least 4 hrs (pets 2).Make sure the bomb will kill adults and larve. U usally can find them at agway stores. Once u get them out of the house however u still have to keep them off your pet. Fleas usually live right in your lawn so even if u flea shampoo the minute u go back outside you'll proably get fleas right back on the dog. I use advantage right now for my puppy. There is also a pill you can use on older dogs that prevents the fleas from infesting. The bite the dog then die. With the advantage i've seen fleas jump on him the fall dead in the water dish a minute later. Works great.

Shaykeija
September 12th, 2005, 09:54 PM
With Advantage do they need blood work for heat worms? I have the girls on Program.

melz
September 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I read that a good way to know if you still have some fleas in your home is to poor boiling water in a container and put a drop of dish soap in it. leave it on the floor under lighting (lighting attracts then). The fleas will jump to the light and fall in water.

Does this really work? I think i'm gonna try that tonight.

cpietra16
September 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Yes Melz, it really worked for me. I put an ice cream container full of water with a 2 tablespoons of bleach. Locked all the cats in one bedroom and left it overnight. The next morning the bucket had a black film on top of the water. At a closer look I realized they were dead fleas. I did it for a couple of nights: put the cats on Advantage and after a week...all gone. By the way, a good way to save on Advantage(my vet suggested it) is to buy the tubes for a big dog and divide it among the cats. You don't need the full dose either. I had 5 cats and 2 dogs at the time, and I saved alot of money by doing that.

melz
September 15th, 2005, 10:48 AM
well the exterminator is coming tmrw. Yaay. she said the stuff that they use is all natural, non-toxic so we can go back into our home in 5 hours after treatment (the guy will be there between 11 and 2 and we can go back after dinner)

Now, stupid question i know. LOL.. she asked me to clear out all my closets. Does this mean food cupboard as well?

She mentioned that I have to wash everything, even stuff in my dresser and linen closet. Is this really necessary? I suppose its best to take her advice to prevent reinfestation but I was just wondering how far do I have to go with Laundry?

If my pup has been at my parents place and I've sprayed there (parents not having complained of fleas at all) and I have left my laundry from last weeks panic wash there, do I have to re-wash just in case they do have fleas?

HELP!