Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Phenylpropanolmine for dogs

Toonces
September 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM
I just wanted to let everyone here know of a side effect from this drug that was not lisited with the others.

My girl Brandy has a problem with incontience and was taking stilbestrol, she had surgery for bladder stones and now instead of a dribble she was losing total control, I took her to the vet right away and they perscribed Phenylpropanolmine 15 min after taking it her tummy and ears turned floresent pink and she was very lathergic I had to carry her to the car (she weighs 70 lbs) and on the way there she started to shake and threw up, they had never seen a reaction like this before and had to give her 5 needles, gravol for her tummy, steriods and antihistimines before she was feeling good enough to go home. They did contact the company to let them know that this had happened.

The next day she really had no control and was peeing constantly, she would lay down and pee and when she got up it would gush right out, it was so bad I had to keep puppy training pads under her untill I could get her to the vet, they uped her stilbestrol, one tab for 3 days they one every 5 after and she has been fine since, we were so worried she may have Diabetes Insipidus or a number of other things wrong but they think this was from all the needles they gave her and she was drinking more than normal and just could not hold it.

If anyone out there is prescribed this please watch for this side effect.

CyberKitten
September 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM
That sounds more like an adverse reaction than a side effect!

Toonces
September 4th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I know I thought that after I posted thankyou for correcting me