Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has black things on face

Brulia
September 3rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
My 10 year old female calico named Tabby has these like black things on her head. They are under her fur. She has one big one of her face that was bleeding but now looks like it's scabbed over. She has a flea collar on. I think that they might be ticks? I feel around her head w/ my fingernails and pick them off her fur. Gross I know but she means the world to me. They aren't big at all, like 1/3 the size of a grain of rice. There are only a few like 4-5 each time I look. The 1 on on her face is noticable though. I think it hurts her when I touch it. I just want to make sure that it's not something bad and I don't want to pay a fortune to see a vet if I don't have to. Please help with comments!

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Sorry, but I think you have to see the vet for this one. :(

pamha
September 4th, 2005, 12:58 AM
If they were ticks it would be pretty obvious, you would be picking off bugs instead of scabs. Our cat used to get similar scaby things under her fur, turns out she was allergic to the flea collar. We now use a topical flea killer from the vet. She also other (undetermined) allergies and when she has more than a couple of scaby spots its off to the vet for a cortisone shot. I would think picking them off would hurt more than leaving them to heal.

Allergies can make a pet miserable, please have a vet check her out.