Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canada - Thanks for the help!

tenderfoot
September 3rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Just wanted to thank the Canadians who have been so kind and generous to send ships of supplies to New Orleans. I just visted my friends daughter, who arrived here today from New Orleans and she might be staying here for many months to come. The devastation is unimaginable and we are so grateful to everyone who is lending a hand. It is times like this when the world becomes very small and we all become better neighbors - thanks again.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 3rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Thankyou Tenderfoot,

I dont know anyone personally in this disaster. But after talking to someone directly affected by it through my job (call centre for U.S based cellular company). I felt horrible for what this woman and her family have gone through. As soon as the donation fun is set up I definatley plan to make a donation or send clothes or anything I can do.

It is hard to sit back and watch others suffer,we just want to see them get their lives back and recover from this disaster.

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
I hope there are enough ships headed over there. We don't pay overwhelming taxes only to not be able to spend a portion of them wisely and with pride now and then. ;) I just hope the people in need get everything they need. :) We all have beyond the basic necessities, here- the least we can do is share. :)

CyberKitten
September 3rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
I am actually hoping to go there myself for a few weeks - we have our resources and people ready to go , to staff an entire hospital if need be. A clinic for sure. My heart just aches for those people. I just saw Celine Dion on Larry King and while she has not always been my fav singer, I applauded what she said tonite! (Re the helicopters that can go across the world to kill ppl but can't get into NO or the Gulf coast to save ppl. That her check is not the important thing, saving lives IS!!)

I found myself in tears watching it - and it reminds me of 9/11 in a way - too much of it and tears come too often. The difference is 9/11 had a tangible enemy. Here, it is nature and the unfathomable slowness of the federal govt at least to get in there and save lives! I know it's easy to be an armchair critic but it is frustrating to watch and feel helpless - get in every boat and ship and kayac and anything that moves and get those ppk help, NOW!!!!!!!!

Anyway, that's my rant for the nite!

I talked to my friend in NO tonite - via an army phone so the feds are getting in there. I relayed messages to the local Convent of the Sacred Heart so they can send supplies. The convent in NO is in part under water - an old stately bldg that has withstood many disasters but not this one it seems. But it is not the bldg so much as the ppl those nuns and their programs helped. The many poor ppl in that venerable and charming city!

Anne Rice has a wonderful article in today's NY Times - so does Maureen Dowd. But Rice's is more poignant since she is of course from the grand old city.

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Yes- I saw a bit of Interview with the Vampire and I had forgotten that NO is where it all happens. :(

StaceyB
September 3rd, 2005, 10:31 PM
I think that there was a faster and better responce when asia was hit with the tsunami and I also don't remember hearing of all the illegal acts that there has been here. You think that everyone would band together. Someone also posted here that countries had been turned down to help. That blows my mind, you would think that they would use all available resources.

tenderfoot
September 4th, 2005, 10:10 AM
There were illegal acts in the Tsunami - namely the stealing of children for trade. Ugliness exists everywhere. I would lay in my bed at night in fear for the people who were in N.O. who were being victimized in the dark. I couldn't rest until the sun began to rise here in Colorado because I knew the sun had been up in N.O. for at least an hour and maybe people were feeling safer.
Tragedies bring out the best and the worst in mankind. Let's just hope the best rules in the end.

StaceyB
September 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I hope so to. Those people affected need to know they are going to be safe. I couldn't imagine going through what they are. You are right, I had forgotten about the children of the tsunami.

CyberKitten
September 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM
If you recall, I was in Sumatra to help after the Tsunami and unfortuntely, there were many acts if violence and problems. They just were not covered live on CNN. I do not want to revisit or enumerate them here but suffice to say these situations always bring out the best and worst in humanity.

babyrocky1
September 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I am actually hoping to go there myself for a few weeks - we have our resources and people ready to go , to staff an entire hospital if need be. A clinic for sure. .Good for you CK. That is wonderful! I remember reading that you went to help out the Tsumani victims but I didn't know you then. I admire your courage and your heart.

LL1
September 5th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I was so happy to see virtually all countries around the world offering help,even Sri Lanka,Thailand,India,Nigeria and Afghanistan and so many others,when they have so little to give.

melanie
September 5th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Another typhoon threatens China; Talim toll put at 100 DEAD, 8 million displaced
Sep. 5, 2005

'At least 100 people were killed and more than eight million displaced by Typhoon Talim in four east Chinese provinces, even as Typhoon Nabi is likely to hit Zhejiang province today. In addition to the deaths, the direct economic losses from torrential rains, flooding and landslides are 7.8 billion yuan (USD 960 million), mainly in east China's Fujian, Zhejiang, Anhui and Jiangxi provinces, media reports said here In the worst-hit Anhui Province, the death toll has risen to 59 and 12 others have gone missing. Typhoon Talim brought along concentrated rainstorms in three cities of Anqing, Liu''an and Chaohu in Anhui from last Thursday through to yesterday, and the worst hit was Yuexi County where the aggregated rainfall was 573 mm, Xinhua news agency reported. The concentrated rainfall has driven up the water level to an alarming status in many local reservoirs and in rivers that traverse through the eastern Chinese province. Most of the casualties occurred amidst natural disasters including landslides and flooding or collapsed civilians houses. Talim also toppled or partially damaged 136,000 houses, destroyed over seven lakh acres of crops, with 5.21 million people being affected in Anhui alone.'

THE CHINESE GOVT IS GIVING 5MILLION IN AID TO US, WHAT WILL THE WORLD DO TO HELP THEM I WONDER???

does anyone know what has happened to all the animals in china in the past week? is anyone offering help?? i have searched and cant find anything on the net....

and im a bit worried about their animals and ppl too.... this tragedy is not getting the news coverage it deserves, its definatly worrying, both of these countries need help, it is not just the US.

if you can please help them......

Prin
September 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM
It's terrible to say, but tragedies are all about timing. :(

melanie
September 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM
quote 'It's terrible to say, but tragedies are all about timing' that is very true, i also worry its about popularity and media coverage, its so sad that no one is really seeing china in all this, its just as horrid for them and i fond that really sad, i hope thier ok and are their animals, we can only cross fingers and hope...

the horrors in china at the mo are obviously more played out on our media, we are very close to them in relation to geography (australasia is what our area is called in general) so we are seeing so much of their devestation daily on the news, and lost of america too, but its jsut sad for me that is all.....

but im a bit sick of each television station using this tradgedy to get their ratings up, one station are doing 2hour coverages daily, which i think is ab it sad, apparently their ratings are throught the roof.

and worst of all they are using hurricane katrina to advertise a movie coming up, its sickening the add says something along the lines of 'you have seen what can happen in the recent tradgedy, well watch this telly movie abut such issues', but its a movie not a doco or anything. they should not be allowed to use other ppls horrors and tradgedies to advertise a movie, that makes me even sadder. ... stupid media......... :mad:

Rick C
September 7th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Some updates:

A little known story of Vancouver's Urban Search and Rescue team which was deployed immediately to the USA gulf coast and is now returning home after an exhausting week. It mentions there is also a Canadian military dive team based on the USS San Antonio now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050907/BCRESCUE07/TPInternational

And an update on the four ships that left Canada yesterday for the Gulf coast with a send-off from the USA ambassador.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050907/STORMCAN07/TPInternational

But some countries are still waiting to hear back from the USA on their offers of aid:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-09-07-katrina-world_x.htm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Rick C
September 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM
A follow-up to the above . . . . Canada singled out for its help.

http://www.canada.com/national/features/extreme_weather/story.html?id=89602825-5447-4d73-8782-8190afcd6689

As a sidebar, I see our ships have to sail through the developing hurricane on the coast of Florida.

Also, Calgary's 70 person Urban Search and Rescue Team is on standby to go to the Gulf coast.

Also, from our town of Okotoks, comes this news of Katrina solice.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Calgary/2005/09/10/1210654-sun.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

melanie
September 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM
hey if they dont need the aid im sure happy not to have to give it.... i thought they were a bit hard up, but as i have read, i really doubt one of the richest nations in the first world really needs aid. i dont understnad the great need for our money, when it is a country full of resources, food, clean water, medical aid, well what else does one really need.. im just hoping they say no to australias cash, we really cant afford it, we have our own problems right now to deal with let alone fixing other rich nations, and as i mention our neighbur in china and japan are having a very hard time too, so it may be important to help our neighbors there... food for thught....