Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Problem with Greenies

mrmilo
September 3rd, 2005, 08:02 PM
Has anyone here had a problem with Greenies or know someone who has? If the dog does not properly chew the Greenie, it can cause an intestinal blockage. I have heard of several dogs dying.

Here's an article that describes the problem..
http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=166069&func=5&articleId=5770&channel=Pets

raingirl
September 3rd, 2005, 08:09 PM
I heard that was a myth. My vet told me that greenies are perfectly digestable (they break down in the stomach from the stomach acid and are digested).

StaceyB
September 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
I would assume that anything can get stuck if swallowed in a large enough piece but I really don't know about greenies. The one item I do know doesn't break down is rawhide.

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
I don't know. My doggies don't digest greenies well at all. :rolleyes: i guess it might depend on the dog and it might depend on the size of the piece that is swallowed. You always have to keep an eye on them. :)

mafiaprincess
September 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
I mistakenly posted a link to a free greenie on another forum. Like 95 posts of people thanking me, which turned into at least half the posts telling me off. Lots of people saying they are a: choke hazzard, dog's need surgery to remove them, etc.

It was a nightmare..

StaceyB
September 3rd, 2005, 09:52 PM
I can't believe that people actually pay for greenie crumbs.

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
I got the scare of my life when the green part didn't get digested... :eek: :eek:

StaceyB
September 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
lol, what do you mean the green part, I thought it was all green.
It is very scary when you think something may be stuck.

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
I mean the green coloring... It goes in green and comes out green....

StaceyB
September 3rd, 2005, 10:39 PM
ok, I got ya now.

JJC
September 3rd, 2005, 11:11 PM
I can no longer give Tosa Greenies. She bites large peices off and they come out basically the same. For a relatively small dog she has one strong jaw. I made the mistake of going by the recommended size on the bag once and she ended up swollowing almost the whole greenie in on bite. She ended up vomitting the rest of the night. Real fun since we were camping. She now only gets raw marrow bones or cow hooves. Now the house smells like a barnyard when she gets a fresh hoof. :yuck: :rolleyes:

StaceyB
September 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
I use the stuffed hoofs. My dogs only chew on them so they work great. I have found that most people give their dogs chew items that are too small. For heavy chewers use the largest available, even little ones like JRTs. If your dog still takes items apart that were only meant for chewing, don't use them. To get an idea of size to use for your dog picture a knotted rawhide. Your dog should not be able to put their mouth over the end. All they should be able to do is knaw on parts of it. For items that can be worked apart with extended use like the rawhide, give time limits of 20 minutes. If you wanted to keep them busy for an hour have 3 different ones to use.

gomez
September 4th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Greenie-type products are definitely not digestible in my experience...

Gomez used to get them until one night he coughed up a chunk of green- you could still see the "ridges" of the toothbrush shape, it had been in there 2 days... that thing must have hurt coming back up...

And I agree with the size of the chew toy issue, Gomez is now chewing on a "souper" size nylabone and he is only 11 pounds, but his jaws could crush a rock...

db7
September 4th, 2005, 07:02 AM
That article is totally misleading, consider the source. It is written by a company that sells products that compete with Greenies.

"The primary volume of a Greenie is cellulose"
WRONG. Greenies are over 50% protein. Cellulose is indigestible carbohydrate, fibre, the stuff your doctor tells you to get lots of, which is only 4% of a Greenie.

Greenies are pretty much like dried pasta, only much higher in protein due to the use of wheat gluten as the main ingredient as opposed to durum wheat in pasta (about 15% protein - from gluten).

If your dog is swallowing hunks of greenie it will take a while to digest, but not impossible. If it is chewing on the greenie it will be digested easier as there are enzymes in saliva that begin to break down the food, that are not present in the stomach.

mrmilo
September 4th, 2005, 08:08 AM
If your dog is swallowing hunks of greenie it will take a while to digest, but not impossible. If it is chewing on the greenie it will be digested easier as there are enzymes in saliva that begin to break down the food, that are not present in the stomach.

Well some dogs are definitely having a problem with greenies. When a vet has to operate and pull out an undigested piece of Greenie then something is not right.

StaceyB
September 4th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Well if a dog is swallowing chunks of something that was intended to helpl with dental care then it is not doing its job and not worth spending the 3-6 dollars on each one. That is just a waste of money besides the possible danger of the greenie getting lodged somewhere in their system,

plmnwater
September 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
After taking my dog to doggie ER because he swallowed a greenie in about three parts, and 14 hours after eating it threw up one a couple of the chunks, I will not give him greenies anymore. He ended up throwing up around 14 times that day, and had to be given a couple IV's, and some sort of anti-vomiting drug to stop the problem. It should have started dissolving long before then, but it was still totally undigested when it came back up.

melanie
September 11th, 2005, 04:50 PM
hey they just started selling these at my vets, and funny i read this thread the other day, went to the vets and saw the greenines, and instantly had doubts of their safety, thanks for the heads up, i generally owuld have brought them, hey its from the vet, i often dont think about it...

but some dogs are real piggies, my girl scoffs everythign, and i just had visions of her choking or such...

which got me thinking when i went to buy her doggy snacks the otehr day, there were now chew bones that were said to be 'three times longer lasting' well i jsut about grabbed em, then realised that they would have to be real hard to last 3 times as long, and then thought about big bites getting stuck, and then i moved on from that product...

so i am now working under the rule of softer chew bones, like the ones made from rice flour like denta bones, she never had probes with them, thier soft and i would imagine if they broke it would not be so dnagerous.

so thanks for the warning, and theres my opinion and what i am now avoiding, food for thought, literally :D

Writing4Fun
September 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM
LOL! My biggest problem with Greenies is that Phoebe hid her freebie so well that I haven't been able to find it in months. :p She's a little picky about her treats. ;)

mars
September 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM
i've seen those in pet stores. i remember something in the list of ingredients put me off buying them. good thing too! my dog goes through everything real fast. the only things that last him awhile are the big galileo nylabones which they break off in little bits that apparently turn into what look like little rice grains when they pass through. i'm not sure when to throw it out though. he can't bite chunks of it off but the ends get kind of prickly. is that fine or should i file them down somehow? and what does everyone think about bull-wrinkles? the dehydrated bull, um... :rolleyes: you know... :D

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 05:34 PM
That is the intent. It does this to work like a tooth brush.

mrmilo
September 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
i'm not sure when to throw it out though. he can't bite chunks of it off but the ends get kind of prickly. is that fine or should i file them down somehow? and what does everyone think about bull-wrinkles? the dehydrated bull, um... :rolleyes: you know... :D

Just check the packaging for the Nylabones, it tells you when to discard it. The bull-wrinkles seem to work very well.

Jackie467
September 12th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Never have had a problem with greenies. They work great for me. I assume if a dog swallows a big enough peice of anything it would cause problems, including food. Candi always chews hers up and just eats the tiny peices, she does that with everything. My mom gave her a rawhide over a year ago and she is still working on it becuase she doesn't eat it just chews it. Some dogs can't be trusted with any chew toys because they will swallow big chunks, theres not a lot you can do about it.

nymph
September 12th, 2005, 10:45 AM
It's definitely not a myth.

Diego once swallowed a greenie for smaller dogs, and puked the undigested chunks out. You have to get the right size so your dog could only bite off little pieces at a time.