Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boarding a Puppy

buffytwin
September 2nd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone, is there a certain age one should wait before boarding your puppy for a few days? If so whats a good age to start or wait to take them? Thank you:)

BMDLuver
September 2nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
I honestly would not board a puppy until the age of 6 months, once the pup has had all vaccinations fully. It's still even risky for the pup at that stage. Perhaps instead of boarding you would be able to find a petsitter?

love my dogs
September 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
I agree, an in home sitter is better. If you have a friend or relative that knows the pup, that's the best.

We boarded our oldest dog for 1 week when she was over a year. It was very traumatic for her, and I vowed not to do it again.

The place was nice, lots of room to run, indoor/outdoor pens, daily walks. when we picked her up they said she didn't eat all week, and just sat staring at the gate in the direction she saw us drive away, the whole time.

It broke my heart, and it took weeks to get her to leave the house, even for a walk....months to get her near the car, let alone in it.

buffytwin
September 2nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
Really? Wow... I'm not planning to board my puppy, I was really asking more out of curiosity... Wondering what I'll do over Xmas, b/c we travel to Ohio for a few days to see my parents, and we can't bring him as my dad is severily allergic to dogs. By then he'll be 6 months old, but just wondered what peoples advice was. I thought once they have all their vaccinations they should go for a couple days while their young so they know its okay and then we're able to do it when their adults if we need to. I always thought boarding was fun for dogs, but I guess every dog is different on how they react or like it. Thanks for the advice though! I do plan on getting family to take care of him, but was just kinda thinking ahead just incase:) Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
September 2nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't board a puppy under 6 months either.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you go the kennel beforehand and check it out and if you can, get references from people whose dogs have returned home happy and relaxed.

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Be sure to get the Bordetella vaccine (for kennel cough) at least 10 days before you are planning to board the doggy. :) But don't get it too early because apparently it only lasts 6-8 months.