Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Totally unprepared for this one!

flead01
September 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
Though I have had several pets in my lifetime, I have never owned a female pet until February of last year when my daughter fell in love with our miniature dachsund. I have been very cautious with her. Unfortunately it seems, not cautious enough. I made and appointment with the vet to have her fixed so that she wouldn't have puppies. However, as it usually does with 3 kids, something unavoidable came up that day and I had to miss the appointment. Before I could make another one, Sparkles came into heat. Again, we very cautiously took her out when she needed to go out, and I thought guarded her well. Again, since I have 3 kids and she is technically their dog, they had to share this responsibility. Now, I'm afraid they didn't guard her well enough. I am noticing signs that she may possibly be pregnant. Since I have never owned a female before, I'm not sure. If I was expecting this, and knew that she'd been bred, I'd definitely take her to the vet to verify. However, I'm not sure and I don't want to go to the vet for now reason. It's been about a month since she was in heat. For the past week or so she's been unusually calm. However, my boyfriend's been bringing his new dog over so I just figured she was jealous. But today I noticed that her teats are REALLY increasing in size. Most of them actually sag now. Her genitals have also seemed swollen since she was in heat. Is this a sign of pregnancy or does it just come with age? Can someone please help me out?!!!!!!!!!

Lizzie
September 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
A dachsund is a very small dog. What kind of dog does your bf have?

I would take your girl to the vet to have her spayed asap. If she is pregnant, you can abort the pregnancy. With literally THOUSANDS of homeless dogs across this continent, it's completely unnecessary to carry on with her pregnancy, especially when it's so early in the game.

It won't be a wasted trip to the vet if she's pregnant...or even if she's not as you will be able to get her spayed.

If she does have babies, be prepared for many many more vet trips. Though with three kids on your plate, my guess is that having puppies would not be an expense you want--nor would you likely have the time for it.

Lucky Rescue
September 2nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Agree with everything Lizzie said. It's still early, and you can have her spayed now.

If you let the pregnancy continue, you'll be facing a very expensive, exhausting mess and may be stuck with 3, 4 or more dogs.

How old are your kids? If they're under 12, it would be a good idea not to let them walk the dog alone, for a variety of reasons.

epundt
September 2nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
Someone has got to help me. I must be doing something worng. Everytime I read where an owners pet has gotten bred, if they are not a breeder, all I hear is many many trips to the vet and expense afer expense. My mini dachshund accidently got bred and I didn't have the heart to abort the puppies. I took her to the vet at 30 days, yep she was preg, took her back on day 60, had her exrayed, found out 4 babies were going to be born. Cost $48.00. She had the puppies with no help from me, she has taken 100% care of her babies since they were born. At 4 weeks I took them back to the vet, got the worm medicine and will take them back for their shots next Friday. Probably another $30 to $40. These babies have been nothing but pleasure and have never caused me one problem. I take them out twice a day and let them play in the living room. Their mom looks after them the whole time. One peep and she's there. She had 4, all females, I'm keeping one and the others already have homes. It has been nothing but sheer pleasure living with these babies and it's going to be hard letting them go. To date I have been out less that $100.00. She's scheduled to get spayed within te next month or so and the little one will be spayed when she's old enough.

Trinitie
September 2nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Why do you need help? As is said in the rules, almost all the people here are pro spay/neuter. You're lucky that your little dog was able to safely give birth. The OP of this thread is worried about his dog, and doesn't want to contribute to the thousands upon thousands of unwanted dogs.

I congratulate you for sticking by your little dog. But, the OP is asking for advice, and is receiving sound advice. You may not agree with what's said here, but that's okay. With any luck his little dog will be okay too, but there's no guarantee. Should he risk his little dog and break his kids hearts? I don't think I could do that. I'm not that strong a person.

Lucky Rescue
September 2nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Yes, a birth could go perfectly and the only expenses may be vet checks, deworming and two sets of vaccinations for all the puppies. On the other hand, especially if the father is a large dog, there could be all sorts of complications, like a C-section to deliver them or a bitch who won't or can't feed a litter. These things do happen and creating another litter of mutts really isn't worth the risk..

Caring for a newborn litter and 3 kids would be beyond many's people's capabilities.

Not to mention the fact that Petfinder lists 125,484 homeless dogs and adding to that number is not a good idea.

marvandmisty
September 3rd, 2005, 11:25 AM
i am also pro spay neuter, but accidents happen. the only thing i have a proiblem with is aborting. you say that it is okay because of all the unwanted dogs, fine but think of it this way there are a lot of children in orphanages so do you believe in aborting children also, because of the thousands that are not wanted. it just doesnt seem fair to me to kill an inoccent life. they have done nothing wrong. also i have three children and we just had a litter and it is no trouble at all my kids are 5 and under. but the mommy dog takes care of her babies and i dont have to do anything. i understand what you all are saying and i agree with spay and nueter, but i am against abortion on every aspect. it is not fair. i am sure they can find homes for these puppies. if not let me know i will find homes for them. we know alot of people looking for puppies soime have adopted ours and others go to the pound, but if they dont find what they are looking for we can send them your way. just take care and do what you feel yoiu should do.

mafiaprincess
September 3rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Then you too are also lucky. Lots of bitches make poor mom's. If this is the dog's first heat, and the dog is just a puppy itself if may not be mature enough to care for puppies. Hand rearing pup's every few hours isn't something most of us are up for. We work, have children, other pets. That's an awful lot of round the clock care. And as Lucky already stated. Lots of dogs will simply refuse to look after their pups. Just because it went well for you, doesn't mean that's even average. The cost of whelping a litter when things don't go to a tee is really expensive.

I don't see the problem in abortign a litter. There are already far too many homeless dogs, accidents or not that if it's still early in the her pregnancy, it's potentially better to abort. If the male dog involved is larger, it could kill the mother. Would you liek to explain that to your under 5 year olds? Most of us wouldn't.

Lucky Rescue
September 3rd, 2005, 02:04 PM
i understand what you all are saying and i agree with spay and nueter, but i am against abortion on every aspect. it is not fair.

Not fair to who? Please don't compare human babies with puppies. Human beings have a choice to become pregnant. Animals do not and that is why we must make the choice for them and do what is in their best interests.

Allowing another litter to be born when millions of dogs are being killed every year for lack of homes is not in anyone's best interest. Seeing litters of irresponsibly bred 8 week old puppies/kittens being put on a table and injected with a lethal substance is what I find "not fair".

Prin
September 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Seeing dogs repeatedly end up in shelters is also not fair. Seeing dogs severely abused because the puppy-makers didn't really know how to carefully screen the prospective owners or just didn't care is not fair. Seeing yet another dog go through life without the basic necessities is not fair.

marvandmisty
September 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
i agree that there is alot of unfair things that happen to dogs but i still do not believe in killing innocent puppies. but we all are intitles to our own opinion and i do not judge others on theirs so please do not judge me i am just saying that i do not believe in abortion unless there are med. reasons to do so. and i have had to explain worse things to my children than the death of a pet. no it is not easy but they do learn very quickly.

StaceyB
September 3rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Of course it is easy when your 7 puppies are not active and mom cleans up after them. Wait til they start running all over the place, peeing and pooping and chewing everything, whining, barking, etc. Also what happens when your 1 yr old dog is not socially mature and doesn't teach her puppies important skills. If this happens how many of these puppies will be given up or put down before their first birthday.
I really don't see this as the place to be promoting accidents. Small dogs are very likely to have difficulty giving birth.

OP have your dog checked by a vet. It is possible that she may be having a false pregnancy.

marvandmisty
September 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
i am not promoting anything i am just saying i do not agree with abortions, if you guys do that is fine, but i think the op should do as he/she feels if the dog is pregnant. it is on them to decide not us. i just wanted to state my opinion. if the dog is to small for it then it would be a medical reason so i would agree.

White Wolf
September 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
Being that there have been a few threads on this subject lately, I feel that the answers are already readily available. Feel free to search the forums. :) This site is very pro-spay/neuter and is not the best place to ask for breeding advice. Thank you.