Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to increase weight

GsdDiamond
September 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Hey all!
Long time no post!!

I got a Q for you all....
I went to the Vet last week.. for Diamond's boosters. The Vet gave her a "feel up"... quite the happy puppy!....and noticed that Diamond is a bit under weight.

He'd like me to bring her back.. in 2-3 weeks.. for another looksee after trying to get her to eat more.

My Q is....
How can I get Diamond to gain more weight? She's very active and goes for long walks with my nephew at least twice a day. I bought a 12 pack of the little soft food sachets from Pedigree (I KNOW....crap food....but I'm desperate!!!).. and only want to feed them to her sparingly. Is there anything else I can do...short of feeding her fat I trim from my own food (which I try not to buy anyway!)?

Please gang...any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a bunch!

GSD

wjranch
September 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
You could try to give her, once a day, a mash of rice, bread and oatmeal...maybe a cup or so at a time..... it's all good for her... and starchy to help her pack on some pounds.....
By the way.... this is assuming she isn't a growing puppy, but, an adult dog.
Good Luck

Prin
September 2nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
That's true eh? Wjranch, your thread "Fatten me up" was looking for high energy foods to supplement the kibble, right? Might be worth it to search for it... (I'm going to bed!! :) )

I still say Merrick canned...

Call these guys: GAULCO LTD/GLEN TAIT DISTRIBUTOR (204) 633-5720
They are the distributer for Solid Gold in MB, and might know where to find Merrick... :)

mona_b
September 6th, 2005, 08:02 PM
How many times a day is she fed?

See with me(another GSD owner :D )I have always fed my dogs both canned and dry.The dry is down 24/7(got that one right Prin...LOL)and canned 3 times a day.Small can in the morning,large can for lunch,and small can for dinner.At 9,he is still pretty active.And definately not overweight.

Prin
September 6th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Gâté pourri!! :D (Franglais for "Spoiled rotten!") Canned EVERY DAY? Canned three times a day?? (I shouldn't yell- if my dogs hear, they'll be outraged!).

mona_b
September 7th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Gâté pourri!! :D (Franglais for "Spoiled rotten!") Canned EVERY DAY? Canned three times a day?? (I shouldn't yell- if my dogs hear, they'll be outraged!).

LMAO.... :p

What can I say,I spoil my babies..... :D

And they have been healthy and happy. ;)

Also remember that GSD's are prone to Bloat.And they shouldn't be given just dry exclusively.I have done everything to prevent this. :)

Prin
September 7th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Really? I haven't heard that yet. It's good to know!

Daizy
September 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM
"a mash of rice, bread and oatmeal"

I was going to try this with Daisy but without the bread and mix it with her liver tonight, obviously the rice is cooked, but should I cook the oats or just add it as it comes. :rolleyes:

mona_b
September 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Really? I haven't heard that yet. It's good to know!

And if you are giving the dry,there should be no citric acid in it.And if there is,absalutely do not pre moisten it.

Here is my favorite link I am forever posting....LOL

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Prin
September 7th, 2005, 09:50 PM
eek! The Wolf King has it! Eek! Have to be careful. My doggies don't have gas at all really on the Solid Gold though... But according to that risk chart, Boo is a 1/5- he eats soooooo slowwwwly. Judging by that site though, it looks like relatively new news...

What food do you feed then? Because all the ones I see have it in there...

Pomermaniac
September 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Because of the amount of dogs I rescue, I'm constantly feeding to gain weight. I have it down to a science! :thumbs up
This is what I do (usually its the dobes and GSDs so thats what portions I'm naming off)
For Dry food, I mix Precise competition formula with their foundation formula (no citric acid)...canned is just "lean cuts" (from superstore lol...its cheap and there isn't much of anything in it besides meat so I think its better than expensive junk food)

Dogs get 2 cups dry food with 3 tbsp corn oil mixed in and 1/2 can canned food in the morning...and then at night they get 2-3 cups dry food mixed with 2 cups cooked rotini/macaroni, the other 1/2 can of canned food, and another 3tbsp oil again.

If they aren't eating all of their breakfast you can cut it down a bit...it takes a little experimenting with portions but this works every single time.

Eagle Pack is another food I've used for this...but I'm not sure about the citric acid thing...I don't usually soak or wet down the food.

mona_b
September 7th, 2005, 10:15 PM
OOps,I should have said "try" and avoid it...DUH...LOL

My Eagle Pack Holistic also has it.BUT,this is why it states NOT to pre- moisten it.This is why at times(especially those with Bloat breeds)I have to disagree with someone who posts to moisten the dry.

This site has been out for a few years.They just revise it when they find new info out.They do alot of research on this.

I knew about Bloat from my breeder when I got my first GSD.And I was 17.

Prin
September 7th, 2005, 10:16 PM
They all say something like: preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, which contains ascorbic acid (citric acid), or they contain some form of Ascorbate... :rolleyes:

Pomermaniac
September 7th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I don't pre-moisten any of my food...thats why I've never thought of it I guess.
You really don't need to when you make it appetizing with a good smelling canned food. Don't let it sit too long...I guess it could become "moistened" I suppose as it gets mushy. But again, our dogs just gobble it up it doesn't spend much time in the bowl.

mona_b
September 7th, 2005, 10:32 PM
They all say something like: preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, which contains ascorbic acid (citric acid), or they contain some form of Ascorbate... :rolleyes:

Go figure...... :rolleyes:

With me,I have never mixed the can with dry.

I want my baby to enjoy the full taste of the can....Like us with a good steak....... :D

This goes for my cats also.I don't mix their dry with canned.

YES Prin,my cats get canned 3 times a day too...... :p

Coldwetnose
September 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
The "soft" packet from Pedigree are high in salt and sugar so I would steer clear of those.
Have you ever considered a raw diet? It might just do the trick. My dogs get beef, elk meat, organ meat, chicken on the bone, eggs, some vegies, grains and fruit and large bones. I do kibble as well (hey, life is busy and raw gets pricey). They eat really well and hold their weight perfectly.
Perhaps instead of the 2nd walk you could do obedience drills so that he is being worked mentally but not burning the calories physically. A good mental workout can be just as exhausting as a physical one.

BMDLuver
September 8th, 2005, 11:49 AM
CWN... could you give me an idea of the quanity you would feed in a day... my gal is 95lbs presently.. kind of like a daily meal plan if you wouldn't mind?

Also, is Elk like deer in that it has about twice the normal protein level of beef?