Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hills SD verses Hills UD

J.Y.'s Mom
September 2nd, 2005, 09:28 AM
Hello
My vet has put my Bichon on Hills SD to treat Oxalate Crystals, but everything I'm seeing on the internet indicates he should be on UD, not SD. As well, he has given steroids for allergies but a Bichon website indicate that these steroids can promote oxalate crystals. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on either of these issues?
Thanks

Barb

J.Y.'s Mom
September 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
I just called my vet and told him everything I was reading pointed to the fact that J.Y. should be on UD, not SD. He told me I was right, but he didn't have any UD in stock so gave me SD. He gave me SD last time he was treated also, no wonder he didn't get better! Obviously, it's time for a new vet!

Trinitie
September 2nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Oh my goodness! It's lucky for your little one that you did the research on the food.

I agree with you - time for a new vet! Sounds like this one isn't worth his weight in kibble! :D

Prin
September 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
I agree- New Vet!

Have you had allergy tests? If not, that might be a first step, such that you might be able to eliminate the cause or at least get the doogy on a better treatment.

Which food were you feeding before? Was it the main culprit in the crystals?

J.Y.'s Mom
September 2nd, 2005, 11:57 AM
I don't know if his food caused the crystals, I'm just starting now to understand what they are, after living on the internet for the past few days :-) He had been on Royal Canin Mini his whole life. It's starting to seem like the only resolve right now is to make his food for him based on low oxalate content.

He hasn't been allergy tested yet, these just started showing up this week, and I've been focussing more on his rear leg issue, and the crystals. Those 2 have me more scared. I'll look into the allergies more once the other 2 are under control.