Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Go to doc or not?

raingirl
September 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM
I really hate doctors. Not the docs personally, just the hassle and stuff with going and the worry associated when you aren't sure if something is wrong or not.

About 2 weeks ago, I got a pain in my right shoulder. I think I strained it while trying to lift something in the front seat of my car that was heavy while I was driving (I wasn't driving, but I was stopped at a light and i think I was moving my backpack to get something and only used my right arm).

Anyway, now the joint is stiff and sore with I raise my arm or more it forward.

I'm worried that I may have done something stupid like damaged my rotator cuff. I'm also worried that the docs will think I'm a hypocondriac if I go to the doc and it's nothing.

I know the doc will probably xray it (which I hate), then suggest physio or something (which I can't afford).

I generally don't take pain pills, but I have felt the need to with this, and they aren't seeming to help. I tried tylenol first, then an anti-imflamatory (tried motrin and advil) but nothing really helped.

I'm finding it hard to drive, type, talk on the phone, or use my mouse.

Also, my fam doc has moved her practise and decided not to be a fam doc anymore, only focusing on pre-natel and post natel care. So I need a new fam doc, one that has evening/weekend hours.

So, should I just keep it mobile and stretch it out to it doesn't become a frozen shoulder and skip the doc? Or should I make sure something more serious isn't wrong first?

Schwinn
September 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
If it is a rotator cuff, you don't want to move it too much while it is healing. My dad just had surgery on his, and I had two bad ones. For me, I took glucosamine and did some work at the gym. At one point, it was so bad that when I grabbed my nap sack out of the back seats in my old car, I had tears in my eyes from the pain. Now, I'm playing baseball again and back to the heavy lifting. An ice pack is also a good idea.

badger
September 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out, particularly since the anti-inflamms aren't working, there could be a tear, in which case you are probably exacerbating the problem by trying to 'work through it'. Even one appointment with a physio, who could show you some gentle movements to do each day, would be a help. Have you tried heat?

I have a ten day rule (barring heart attacks and head injuries). If something hasn't improved after ten days (using my own resources, a little herbal, couple of Tylenol, rest), then I see a doc.

Dogastrophe
September 2nd, 2005, 09:20 AM
If this was happening to your furbaby you would take him to the vet, sooooo, you should take yourself to the doctor. :crazy:

I felt a sharp pain in one of my quad muscle while playing rugby years ago. Being a tough guy I didn't bother to get it checked out and let it heal over the course of 3 months (didn't stop playing so kept hurting it). Flash forward almost ten years and I still get pains in the leg if I move it certain ways. Turns out I tore my quad almost the entire length. At the time surgery would have fixed it, now there is so much scar tissue built up that surgery wouldn't be effective.

Hope all works out well

Prin
September 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Go to an athletic therapist instead! :) They rock! (but they have to be CATA certified. ;) )