Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Michael Bryant Rears His Ugly Head

twodogsandacat
September 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM
Michael Bryant has raised his ugly head FINALLY concerning guns in Toronto. His proposals are called VAGUE. It seems using the word VAGUE is now in vogue when talking about the Liberals.

Welcome back Mr. Bryant. I see you still have no clue and really no plan. Can't just ban guns can you?

He certainly doesn't understand this problem either. He's targeting gun shop owners. You know the places where people buy LEGAL guns.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=164934ed-1353-4ce0-8a3e-114095023cc8

Critics call Liberals soft on guns
Ontario reveals plan for firearms amnesty, expanded witness protection

James Cowan
National Post

September 2, 2005

1 | 2 | NEXT >>

Attorney-General Michael Bryant yesterday announced initiatives to curb shootings in the city, including a firearms amnesty, improvements to witness protection programs and an inspection blitz of gun stores.

Mr. Bryant could not specify when the programs would be implemented or how much they would cost.

The vague Liberal proposal prompted opposition critics to accuse Mr. Bryant of pandering to the media rather than offering real solutions to gun crime.

"This is a back-of-the-napkin, seat-of-the-pants reaction to the media criticism and the growing pressure about no action being taken to effectively deal with this challenge," Mr. Runciman said. "I think it would be laughable if it wasn't so sad."

The Conservative also accused Mr. Bryant of being slow to respond to the rash of shootings in Toronto, which have killed 33 people this year.

"[Mr. Bryant] has been missing in action -- I thought he had a pretty good tan," Mr. Runciman said.

Peter Kormos, the NDP's justice critic, ridiculed the government for not announcing tighter supervision for justices of the peace who supervise bail hearings. Both Bill Blair, Toronto's Police Chief, and Mayor David Miller have criticized the courts for releasing people charged with gun crimes on bail. Last week, a man charged with firearms offences in May was re-arrested while in the possession of a .44 Magnum.

"There was no meaningful discussion today about incompetent justices of the peace who are making bad judgment calls from the bench and putting dangerous people back on the street," Mr. Kormos said.

Chief Blair yesterday said the Liberal initiatives were "significant." The chief admitted it is unlikely criminals will turn over their guns because of an amnesty, but said the program could still be effective.

"The problem with bad guys is they don't register their guns and it is unlikely they would turn in their gun," Mr. Blair said. "But it is very possible that somebody that knows that individual and maybe even cares about that individual might choose to turn in that gun."

In addition to the amnesty, a blitz of gun stores by Toronto and provincial police is planned to determine whether they are obeying safekeeping standards. It is currently unclear whether current regulations need to be tightened or if firearms dealers are properly storing their weapons, Mr. Bryant said.

"We're going to look at the rules that apply to gun shops and see if we have a problem of lax rules, lax enforcement or lax compliance. The blitz will allow us to do that and if we need to fix the rules, the province will," Mr. Bryant said.

The Attorney-General also promised improvements to the province's witness protection programs, but declined to specify what changes will be made citing security concerns. Officials would only say Ontario currently spends several hundred thousand dollars on the program and protects several dozen people each year. Mr. Bryant said there will be a "expansion" of the current programs.

Police need access to a range of options from complete relocation and name changes to lesser measures such as transferring a witness's child to a different school, Mr. Blair said.

twodogsandacat
September 2nd, 2005, 06:45 AM
From the Globe And Mail. Sounds like the guy sitting next to Bryant wasn't too impressd either. Still I'm all for this idiot shooting his mouth off. Everyday more and more people see through this McGuinty government. 2007 is coming fast.

While Mr. Bryant said he hopes that an amnesty would encourage people to turn in illegal guns, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair, who sat next to him at the press conference, said he doesn't believe individuals using them will rush to police stations.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050902/GUN02/TPNational/Toronto

Schwinn
September 2nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Yea, gun amnesty will stop the gangs and thugs.

"Yo, T-Bone. Ya wanna bust a cap in that guy?"

"Yo G. I would, but I turned my piece in to the 5 0."

"Word. Hey, you wanna for ice cream?"

This guy takes "media whore" to a whole new level.

Loki
September 2nd, 2005, 09:07 AM
I caught Global's coverage of Bryant's press conference. Even Global's Queen's Park reporter laid into Bryant.

They showed him, yelling at Bryant: "You called us here. You can't tell us what you're doing, where you're doing it, or how much you're spending to do it. What'd you make this stuff up on the car ride over?"

Bryant had a look on his face that was similar to Alex Peirson's pit bull interview.

I swear I was expecting to see Bryant point and say, "look, a pit bull" and then run out of the room.

twodogsandacat
September 2nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
I caught Global's coverage of Bryant's press conference. Even Global's Queen's Park reporter laid into Bryant.

They showed him, yelling at Bryant: "You called us here. You can't tell us what you're doing, where you're doing it, or how much you're spending to do it. What'd you make this stuff up on the car ride over?"

Bryant had a look on his face that was similar to Alex Peirson's pit bull interview.

I swear I was expecting to see Bryant point and say, "look, a pit bull" and then run out of the room.

That the problem with being a whore Mr. Bryant. When they are done with you, they aren't nice to you any more.

I loved Alex Peirson nailing that SOB. I can see Bryant in his old age muttering "Number 16, Number 16"

Georgiapeaches
September 2nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Lol twodogs, I hope he has that in his head until he goes, "number 16"

Pretty predictable that MB still does not have a clue!

twodogsandacat
September 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Yea, gun amnesty will stop the gangs and thugs.

"Yo, T-Bone. Ya wanna bust a cap in that guy?"

"Yo G. I would, but I turned my piece in to the 5 0."

"Word. Hey, you wanna for ice cream?"

This guy takes "media whore" to a whole new level.

True Dat Schwinn.

babyrocky1
September 4th, 2005, 01:39 PM

I swear I was expecting to see Bryant point and say, "look, a pit bull" and then run out of the room. Man, I would have paid a hefty admission price to have seen that new Bryant episode! I saw a clip of that conference somewhere but I didn't hear that part with the Global reporter LOL I did definately notice that Bryant looked scared though, now I know why...thanks Loki! I guess that reporter is now BANNED from his press conferences etc. just like Alex!

twodogsandacat
September 4th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Man, I would have paid a hefty admission price to have seen that new Bryant episode! I saw a clip of that conference somewhere but I didn't hear that part with the Global reporter LOL I did definately notice that Bryant looked scared though, now I know why...thanks Loki! I guess that reporter is now BANNED from his press conferences etc. just like Alex!

He can ban them all he wants. Of course the news channels will just get bigger and meaner reporters don't ya think.