Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray cats outside are dying

shelly41
September 2nd, 2005, 06:24 AM
A few months ago I noticed a couple of cats around my neighborhood that looked skinny. I tried to catch them but have been unsuscessfull. So I have been feeding them everyday. The mother cat had 3 kittens, they look to be about 4-5 months old. Everytime I tried to catch the kittens it has been harder. Animal control said that they would come out and get them but after 3 days they would be put to sleep. But now I have a bigger problem, one of the older cats and a kitten have died. I found them in my back yard. One died on Tuesday and the kitten I found this morning. I am going to gather up some friends today and see if we can catch at least the others. My question is what could have caused them to die so quickly? If I can't catch them today I will have to call animal control, I don't want them to suffer if they are all sick. Hopefully I can catch them and get them to a vet today. Could my 2 dogs catch anything from this? I am worried. Thank you for any advice?

badger
September 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM
This must be so hard to watch. Thank you for doing what you can to save these poor creatures. They may be dying from some kind of virus, in which case the kindest thing you can do is have animal control come in, round them up and take them to be euthenized. Many of these viruses cannot be cured in animals which are already in poor condition, not vaccinated, their immune systems at a low ebb. Poor things.

I don't know if your dogs are at risk, someone here will have that information, but for now I would assume that they are. If you manage to catch some of the kittens, I would isolate them in a quiet place, feed them and keep an eye on them for a couple of days. If they seem OK, you could take them to the vet and have them checked out. Some kittens can survive a virus, many can't. Please let us know what happens. This is so heartbreaking.

justncase
September 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Distemper can kill that fast. It's curable if caught in time( I have info on that) I don't know where you are located but this site might help.

Hugs for Homeless Animals
www.h4ha.org/shelters/
A worldwide directory of rescue organizations, shelters and humane societies.

If you click on the country, state, and then each of the numbers listed there is a complete list of rescue groups , etc that may step in and help, even with costs sometimes. If you need a list of sites that can offer financial help( some with no repay) I can provide you with that too.

justncase
September 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
Where are you located? Can you get ahold of a product called Transfer Factor Plus? It's available at some stores and over the Internet. For whatever disease the cats have, it will give them a fighting chance. So will colloidal silver. Super Silver Solutions is one brand that's safe for pets. It will fight all manner of very serious bacterial and viral infections. Highly effective.(health food stores sell it)

.sarah
September 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
If it's at all possible you may want to take the dead cats to a vet to have an ecropsy performed. This might determine the cause of death. I understand if that's not the route you want to go, though.

Also, have you tried catching them with cat traps? If not you should be able to temporarily borrow some from your local shelter or humane society. Just put food in the other end of the trap. They're not at all harmful to the animal.