Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gulf coast disaster - Please choose an organization and help in any way you can

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 10:51 PM
Marko,
With the disaster on the Gulf Coast there will be many animals that will be needing our help as well as the people. Can we set up a fund to collect donations for their care.

marko
September 2nd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Dear members,

If you can, please help our dear friends south of our border during this terrible terrible natural disaster in any way you can. Even a few dollars helps a great deal when thousands of people are contributing those few dollars.

There are several organizations listed below that are set up to help.

Thanks for the compassion and good will :thumbs up

marko

nymph
September 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
I trust the Red Cross, they've always been there when disaster strikes.

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

nymph
September 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM
Marko can you please move this thread to a forum with more exposure?

jessi76
September 2nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
http://www.aspca.org/

donate by phone: (866) 275-3923

by mail:
ASPCA Disaster Relief Fund
424 East 92nd Street
New York, NY 10128

Make check's payable to ASPCA Disaster Relief Fund.

marvandmisty
September 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
i agree th red cross is an excellent way to go. we have allready donated to them through the school.

Katze
September 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.hsus.org/

glasslass
September 3rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
There is a wonderful organization that is already setting up in Louisiana to help abandoned pets. They rescue pets and care for them until they can be reunited with their owners. If they can't locate the owner, they work to find new homes for them. I first heard about this organization over a year ago from someone on this forum. It's very easy to make a donation on their website. I've done this and never had a problem. The name of the organization is Noahs Wish and they go all over the world. This is their website:

http://www.noahswish.org/

BMDLuver
September 4th, 2005, 09:44 AM
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/breaking_news/12555601.htm

This article discusses the desperate need to help the animals as well as the humans.

badger
September 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evacuees anguished at leaving pets behind

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- As Valerie Bennett was evacuated from a New Orleans hospital, rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her dogs.

She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse recalled Saturday.

They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a plastic tub containing the medicines her husband, a liver transplant recipient, needed to survive.

Such emotional scenes were repeated perhaps thousands of times along the Gulf Coast last week as pet owners were forced to abandon their animals in the midst of evacuation.

In one example reported last week by The Associated Press, a police officer took a dog from one little boy waiting to get on a bus in New Orleans. "Snowball! Snowball!" the boy cried until he vomited. The policeman told a reporter he didn't know what would happen to the dog.

At the hospital, a doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said, 'I can't do it,' " said Bennett's husband, Lorne.

Valerie Bennett left her dogs with the anesthesiologist, who promised to care for about 30 staff members' pets on the roof of the hospital, Lindy Boggs Medical Center.

"He said he'd stay there as long as he possibly could," Valerie Bennett recalled, speaking from her husband's bedside at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital.

On Saturday afternoon, she said she saw a posting on a Web site called petfinder.com that said the anesthesiologist was still caring for the animals.

Louisiana State Treasurer John Kennedy, who was helping with relief efforts Saturday, said some evacuees refused to leave without their pets.

"One woman told me 'I've lost my house, my job, my car and I am not turning my dog loose to starve,' " Kennedy said.

Kennedy said he persuaded refugees to get on the bus by telling them he would have the animals taken to an exhibition center.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals picked up two cats and 15 dogs, including one Kennedy found tied up beneath the overpass next to an unopened can of dog food with a sign that read, "Please take care of my dog, his name is Chucky."

The fate of pets is a huge but underappreciated cause of anguish for storm survivors, said Richard Garfield, professor of international clinical nursing at New York's Columbia University.

"People in shelters are worried about 'Did Fluffy get out?' " he said. "It's very distressing for people, wondering if their pets are isolated or starving."

The Bennetts had four animals, including two beloved dogs.

They moved to Slidell, Louisiana, in July when Valerie took a job at an organ transplant institute connected to Lindy Boggs. Lorne, a former paramedic, is disabled since undergoing a liver transplant in 2001.

On Saturday, as Hurricane Katrina approached, both went to the hospital to help and took all four animals with them.

They fed their guinea pig and left it in its cage in a patient room. They couldn't refill its empty water bottle because the hospital's plumbing failed Sunday, they said. They poured food on the floor for the cat, but again no water.

"I just hope that they forgive me," Valerie Bennett cried.

melanie
September 4th, 2005, 05:34 PM
please dont forget tat thousands of ppl also suffered tradgedy and loss of life this week in iraq (bridge collapse) and china (cyclone) not to discount all those places that suffer daily.. so if you can try and help out these guys as well, they all need help and are sufferening very hard too, they just odnt get the tv coverage......food for thought

lisa in alberta
September 5th, 2005, 01:48 AM
I was able to easily make a donation online at www.hsus.org. The local SPCA here recommended. Plllllllease donate anything you can afford.. The stories of people being forced to leave their animals behind without knowing what would happen, break my heart.

pamha
September 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM
In my area we are going to be having 100+ refugees put up in hotels, for how long noone knows. Agencies are working on setting up collections for basic needs for these people. Once they announce where & when I`m going to be bringing in a lot of clothes & kid stuff.

If you have friends or relatives in the US, ask if their cities are doing anything similar. If you have things rather than cash to donate, something like this might be more practical.

Pam

Diegos_Mom
September 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM
hello pet lover family i am new here, and i am alos in beaumont texas, we areonly 220 mile from new orleans, and we are on the way to houston, it is really hellish here to say the least, i ahve been volunteering here at our local humane society, it is amazing, considering the lack in judgement on georges part, that there are os many sucess stories, our amazing community has taken in so many pets and families. we have over 1400 in our new sports arena, and countless others in churches and homes all over our area, we are the first sizable stop in tes=xas on the way to houston, if you have not seen the pics, then you need ot look as this is a real tragedy, these people and animals need real help, this country not only lost lots of people and animals and homes, but jobs too, it has been horrible, BUT, WEcan come to gether and we have to, theere are still many pets that need adopting and that need to be placed in temporary homes, there are sooooo many families ehre that are reachingout and helping, but there are still so man families coming here over a thousand a day still, and pets too, so keep the faith in humanity by being ahumanitarian, and helping any way you can, for instance here is the web site to our local humane society,http://www.petsforpeople.org/ , please help if you can if not, please help networking help for these defensless beings, thankyou for your consideration and compassion, sincerely, kari of beaumont texas

Amelia365
September 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Here is a great opportunity to help....

:thumbs up

https://gateway.hsus.org/hsusdev/

Prin
September 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM
please dont forget tat thousands of ppl also suffered tradgedy and loss of life this week in iraq (bridge collapse) and china (cyclone) not to discount all those places that suffer daily.. so if you can try and help out these guys as well, they all need help and are sufferening very hard too, they just odnt get the tv coverage......food for thought
Yes we can't forget that there are others. :(

Luba
September 11th, 2005, 08:42 PM
If you would like to donate to a specific family, one of our members here her member name is pags her real name is Anita.

She, her husband Dave and their four young children (one newborn) have lost nearly everything. Every small donation counts!!

We've set up two bank accounts, one for Canadian one for American donations.

Thank you for your care, your concern and your prayers.

To make a donation to the Thomer Family:

CANADIAN DONATIONS
TD Canada Trust
Branch # 253 & Account # 6293328
3115 Kingston Road
Scarborough, ON
M1M1P3

Make cheques out to or drop in ANY TD Canada Trust Bank :
Account # 6293328 Branch # 253
Do not put anything else in the 'To' column or the bank can't process

-------------------------

AMERICAN DONATIONS
The Thomer Family Fund
Commerce Bank
3051 Walton Road
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM
That is horrible, and to think of all the money that is being sent to them to help the animals and they are just putting them down. I understand doing it for the pets who are too far gone but not all of them.

nymph
September 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM

melanie, thanks for continuously bringing up people in other parts of the world suffering.

:angel: :fingerscr :thumbs up

dmc123
September 12th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I heard of another agency that it doing good work. They were on several newsites I was reading.

http://bestfriends.org/

Diane

Luba
September 16th, 2005, 07:55 PM
UPDATED ADDITIONAL EASY WAYS TO GIVE TO THE THOMER FAMILY (PAGS) IF YOU WISH
PLS SEE THIS THREAD: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19200&page=5&pp=30