Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very Frustrated!!!

frostiex
September 1st, 2005, 09:34 PM
:mad: My dog is ****z shu x American Eskimo....he is a 6 month old male...
here is what he looks like: Click to see pic (http://www.frostiex.com/pics/siubak.jpg)

He is trained in to use a litter box in my sunroom, and he has only had a few accident since the begining, and had not had any accident since 3 months ago.
(I have had him for about 4 months)

but the last few days he has been having accident...not just once, but a 2-3 timea a day @ the entrance to the litter box. he is in a fenced off area in the sun room.
(Description of the area)

becaused of the accidents,I have reduced the size of the area...but he still had the accident right @ the entrance to the litter box.
So now I have reduced it even further and moved his bed right @ the entrance to the literbox.

The litter box is a pretty big litter pen and I build a enclosure around it.
and he has been using it for a while with no problem.

Description of the area (http://www.frostiex.com/pics/description.bmp)

What could be wrong...nothing changed...I am so frustrated...please give me some suggestions....

=(

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 10:03 PM
Well for one he is beginning to go through adolescence. Having accidents during this time is very common, you still need to correct it. Has anything changed since you initially started potty training him. Have you given him more freedom.
Any change in routine can do this, as simple as having company over for the week end.
I would rule out health issues first, though it is common for them to back track during adolescence, they wouldn't have an accident every time.

frostiex
September 1st, 2005, 10:59 PM
He did have more freedon...he has the whole extension of the playpen...but that was about 3 months ago as well.

basically...he was trained in the reduced size playpen for the 1st month and he was doing really well...and after a month...we gave him the full extension of the playpen. so he it has been like this for 3 months...and had been good up till the last week....and he doesn't seem to take command as good anymore...
I am so frustrated... :cry:

I am also considering getting him fixed...will it help?

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
He is 6 months and should be fixed now but if you were expecting it to help you with behaviour don't hold your breath. There is no scientific proof that getting a dog fixed will change their behaviour. The reason why we think it does is because a puppy goes through adolescence around 5 months. This stage lasts aprox 2 months so if you get them fixed around 6 months as they are recovering from surgery they are hitting the tail end of adolescence.

Prin
September 1st, 2005, 11:40 PM
Get him fixed. It'll help more than anything else.

Is this dog walked? Is he let out of the pen? Is the litter clean? Has anything changed in the home that could be causing the doggy stress?

frostiex
September 1st, 2005, 11:53 PM
The litter is clean...we use the silica ones and changed once every 1-2weeks depending on how dirty it is...the dog is walked once a day (evening) and if we can't walk him...we play with him for 15-20 minutes in the back yard or in the sun room (tug o war, fetch...etc)

and nothing changed in the house...I can't think of any changes...we had a birthday party on saturady night for our 12 year old daughter...but he was ok....

I don't know what else it could be...It make me feel sad that his area is once again restricted to just enough for his bed and food....I though he was over that and had a decent sized pen'ed area. =(

.unknown.
September 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
does he spend all day in the "area" except for the walks and/or play time in the pen?

if he's "adolescent" and bored, i'd probably link the two...

try giving him a walk in the morning and in the evening...

?

nymph
September 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
awwwww, what a sweetie! I agree with StaceyB, I'd take him to see a vet first to rule out health problems. Any sudden change in a dog's behavior could be caused by health issues.

frostiex
September 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks nymph.

Well...after one day of "doggie jail" he seems to have been ok for now.....will have to wait an see...I think I will just have to show him...every time he pees outside of the litter box...I will reduce his area...so hopefully...he will catch on...

but for now he seems to have been ok.

thanks for the feed back...I think I will get him fixed soon. :)

Prin
September 2nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
Sometimes through adolescence you have to start basically from scratch. Just be consistent and it should resolve itself... :fingerscr

frostiex
September 5th, 2005, 09:13 AM
:thumbs up ok..i think it worked....he hasn't done that since. he seems to be ok now. thanks for all the info..I think I will still get him fixed soon...does it matter should I do it ASAP??

Dragonfly
September 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM
You might want to get him neutered before he starts to lift his leg.

wAggie
September 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM
ah... adolescent years.... ah... :rolleyes:

thank god they're over. from what I had with Chocolate, they'll pass... it may take a few weeks of torture, but u' survive and THRIVE

:fingerscr