Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

smelling/sniffing, foaming/drooling?

jessi76
September 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM
ok, see, I try to use descriptive titles and it just sounds bizarre, but I must admit, this (to me) is bizarre...

So far, I've only noticed this when we are AT puppy school...My pup will smell/sniff the floor intensely... and then all of a sudden, he's drooling & foamy! I've seen it happen 3x now, 1st time - he was smelling the floor in class, making a grinding sound w/ his teeth and drooling/foamy, 2nd time - someone's dog pooped at the door to class and didn't pick it up, and we had to hop over it, walked in to wait for class to start and he was smelling a staircase, started getting foamy, 3rd time - he was laying on the floor in class, nose on floor and producing a small puddle of drool...(all on different days, seperate instances)

is this normal?

Trinitie
September 1st, 2005, 04:07 PM
HAHAHAHA....I'm pretty sure it's normal. I've seen dogs get runny noses from things they smell. Why not frothy mouth? :yuck: :D

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM
A very intriguing smell. What kind of dog is this?

justncase
September 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM
One dog took a seizure right in the middle of a vet's office because of the cleaning products used to clean the floor. Your dog acts as though he's in a pending seizure although the smell may not be strong enough to actually trigger a full-scale one.

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM
I have seen this very behaviour from many of my students as well as my own dog. None of them were having any kind of seizure. If it were there would have been other symptoms to follow.

justncase
September 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM
I have seen this very behaviour from many of my students as well as my own dog. None of them were having any kind of seizure. If it were there would have been other symptoms to follow.

Not necessarily. Maybe for the dogs you know, maybe for the OP's dog, but it certainly wasn't the case for the dog who never had a history of seizures who took one right in the vet's office due to the cleaning product used on the floor . It may be rare, it may not, but it certainly cannot be ruled out.

Prin
September 1st, 2005, 10:49 PM
Oooh!! I know I know! We see it ALL the time at the d-o-g p-a-r-k. :D

When doggies are nervous or anxious, sometimes while they frantically snort and sniff they move their jaw slightly up and down, causing froth to ummm...grow(?) with the excess saliva they produce from being nervous. :)

We see it so often at the p-a-r-k that we all tried to figure out what was happening. :D

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 11:06 PM
When Montana smells and/or sees a yummy chew treat the drool just pours and he gets all frothy. Kind of disgusting actually but I have had many students do the same thing with smells on the floor from treats as well as smells from dogs in heat and marked areas. I have seen dogs have seizures and afterwards they are physically drained.

BMDLuver
September 2nd, 2005, 07:34 AM
I've seen many dogs drool n froth in a relatively new environment, particuliarly when there are other dogs around. I would think it's pretty normal?

jessi76
September 2nd, 2005, 08:46 AM
wow, thanks for the responses, I was afraid my little Tucker was just a weirdo....

StacyB, he's a basenji-mix, 5 months old.

justncase, I appreciate the concern, and the thought of a cleaning product did actually cross my mind. I think I will ask the school what type of product they use to clean the floors with... just to have the information on hand incase it worsens.

I think it is just new smell overload, but wasn't sure. There are many dogs & classes at this school, and they are primarily in this one classroom - they even have the puppy play group in that room, and accidents do happen. The school is extremely clean, but smells probably do linger that my pup is picking up on.

thanks again!