Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Portrait Studio

Spitfire
September 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
I am starting up a studio in my home. I wanted to get some ideas from you guys.

Have any of you had a photo done of your pets?
How much would you say would be resonable for a price?
What would make the whole thing easier?
Would you send out x-mas card with your pet on them?
Can you give me an ideas.

Thanks-
you can post here or e-mail me

Byrd
September 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM
I had photos done of my first dog, and would love to get them dong of this dog.

As for pricing, I don't know... mine were done for free by a friend.

To make it easier have a quiet place with no distractions, and lots of squeeky toys to draw the attention.

I would do Christmas cards, but only a few people that I know would appreciate them. Perhaps Christmas cards with the whole family... pet included.

For ideas, mine were done as portrait, with family members, Christmas, and comical. They turned out really nice. Get some props, maybe even 'clothing'. Most importantly, ask the people what they want.

When you open up, let us know where you are and he pricing.

Spitfire
September 1st, 2005, 07:40 PM
Can can let you know now were I am- I am in lansdowne between Kingston and Brockville.

I was thinking I would start off small and work my way bigger

glasslass
September 1st, 2005, 08:21 PM
I've had many professional photos taken of my dogs at a "chain" studio. They only allowed pets scheduled as the last appointment of the day, to avoid health concerns to other patrons. I was always charged same as if I was having a regular photo taken of myself. I always bought the proofs, as well as ordered 8 x 10's of each one I liked (for my album), as well as wallet-size. Studios are missing out on a lot of business if they don't photograph pets. This same studio went for several years not taking pet photos. Whenever I received marketing calls from them, I would ask if they allowed pets. If they said no, I would say my pet is a family member. No pet, no photo. I guess that approach worked. They now take pets again, but limited to last appointment of the day. :)

100%doglover
September 1st, 2005, 09:22 PM
I think that's a great idea. I have had professional pics done with my dog but can't quite remember what I payed but it wasn't cheap... The photographer actually didn't have a studio but rather came out to the park and took pic. This would unfortunately be too expensive to do on more of a regular basis though. I absolutely intend to have christmas pictures taken every year now that we have a new baby girl AND our dog will be included too, she is our firstborn after all! I've been asking a few places if they allow dogs and it looks like sears might in some locations, but like another poster said, you have to make special arrangements.

mona_b
September 1st, 2005, 11:13 PM
I too had them done with my first dog.This was almost 20 years ago.I actually filled out a ballot at the Royal Winter Fair.They had a pet photo stand there.I got a call a few weeks after that I won.The only thing I actually "won" for free was an 8x10 pic and a few proofs.This is where they stick it to you...LOL

The Photographer actually came to my house.We had it done in the backyard.He brought his own table and backdrop.I remember it was a warm day.Cujo kept panting.So the the guy squeezed a bit of real remon juice in his mouth.Poor Cujo qutinted.But he kept his tongue in.....LOL

Also,you need to be prepared for those dogs/cats that are not so cooperative.. :eek:

Spitfire
September 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
I have few friends and family that are going to let me take photos of there dog. One is a Great Dane pup (1 yr) and If i can get good shots of her- than there is nothing I can't handle :)

I was thinking $30 for the sitting fee an then the cost of photos on top. What do you think? About a $1.50 for 4x6 $4 for 5x7 and $10 for 8x10

jessi76
September 2nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Would you just offer the standard sizes of photos or custom sizes?

Different treatments of photos? Black/whites, full color, sepia...

framing available?

Could you offer them digitally too, and how? provided on CD, or online for the customer to download? Perhaps using an online feature customers could choose an application and treatment for their favorite photo, such as b/w and framed...

How are you going to go about doing various cards, such as christmas cards?
Will you handle the printing yourself or team up with a local print house?

When you say a studio in your home, do you mean just the business is based there, or do you expect people to bring their pets to you?

Do you belong to any professional photography associations, have you won any awards, and how long have you been doing photography?

These are just some of the questions I would have if someone offered me photography services.

Spitfire
September 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Would you just offer the standard sizes of photos or custom sizes?

I would start off with the standard- but with the option of custom sizes by orders only.

Different treatments of photos? Black/whites, full color, sepia...

Yes I would do the different treatments

framing available?

No- It would be too hard to carry.

Could you offer them digitally too, and how? provided on CD, or online for the customer to download? Perhaps using an online feature customers could choose an application and treatment for their favorite photo, such as b/w and framed...

I wasn't going to offer them digitally- I could include e-mail value size photos.

How are you going to go about doing various cards, such as christmas cards?
Will you handle the printing yourself or team up with a local print house?

I would team up with a local print house. The christmas cards would be picked from a few options.

When you say a studio in your home, do you mean just the business is based there, or do you expect people to bring their pets to you?

The business would be based there, and people could bring the pets to me. I would also be interested in doing dog shows.

Do you belong to any professional photography associations, have you won any awards, and how long have you been doing photography?

No, to both. I have been doing photography off and on for 5 years. I have mostly don't horse photos for "for sale ads" And also a few great dane shots.

These are just some of the questions I would have if someone offered me photography services.

Thank- the more I work out now the better.

CyberKitten
September 3rd, 2005, 12:06 AM
I am finally finding time to visit - and post. It's been hectic - busier schedule than usual. Huricaine Katrina - all engorssing and frustrating at the same time. The new med grads took their oath last week. Honestly, they are just getting younger every yr. Surely, it's NOT moi, lol

To be honest, I am not sure about the photography idea. I would think it would work if you are in a highly populated area like Toronto. I know even in Halifax, too many ppl already like a certain photographer so you would have to carve a niche out for yourself and be very marketing savvy. I had a friend - who is now a newspaper editor (daily paper) - try to operate his own photography studio in a medium size community and even that was a tough go. In the end, he went back into the newspaper biz and does weddings, pets, graduations, framing - all the usual stuff on the side. WalMart and other competition were tugh for him, even tho his prices were as good as those chains and they did not do pets. Also, he is an award winning photojournalist who has taken pix in hot war zones. He is also very active in animal advocacy and hence the addition of pets to his portfolio. But he would never branch out to JUST do pets. And he says in this age of diital cameras, it is even harder to keep clients. He has helped this to some extent by adding graphic design - fixing old photos, converting important pix to CD's and all that sort of thing.

I do think you would have little choice in whether to offer CD's and web based work. People expect it now. They want to chose what photos they can put on the CD and what ones to print, a la Kodak and the big box studios.

Another friend - who started out with a photography biz in her father's building - ended up buying a communicxations firm and going from there.

Most photographers I know make a profit only if they have secure contracts with newspapers, corporations and a steady clientelle of graduates, weddings, bar mitvahs. fashion stuff, catalogs and so forth. Unless you plan this as a hobby - and I may be mistaken - I would think if you do want to have a small niceh market, then you prob might look at providing other pet items and services. And once you do your market research and business plan, you will likely have a better notion of what services are needed in your area. A pet publication? Online journals for pets? In this age of partnerships (even in the nonprofit world, we are all about strategic partnerships), you might partner wth a Recsue group or vets. Vets now provide photo services in my area - you kow those pick of the litter photos. Also, dog and cat shows who really need professional photos for their champion's portfolio.

Personally, I take most of my pwn photos (this may not be a good thing but it works for me, lol) but when I do opt for a photographer, I would choose the best one, period. Not because they do pets but because they have a good reputation and have a large portfolio.

Good luck in your new endeavour. I do hope you are in TO - it may be one of the few places this kind of small niche service would work.

Spitfire
September 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Thank you everyone for your help