Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newspaper blurb by Christina Blizzard

lezzpezz
September 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM
Read this opinion by Christina Blizzard...she is against! the ban!!

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Blizzard_Christina/2005/08/31/1194804.html

love my dogs
September 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM
yes it was a great article.

I sent her an email of thanks, and added a few points. Here it is.

Hi Christina,

I just wanted to congratulate and thank you for the wonderful article you wrote about the pitbull ban. You are right on target with everything.

As far as I'm concerned, it is no different than discrimination against all black people because the majority of violent crimes are commited by black people. Then you throw in an unlikely criminal like Carla Homolka who seems to get more sympathy than many people with lesser crimes under their belt. Why? Is it because she is female, white and pretty?

Hmmm....it seems to me our civilized, level headed society is going backwards.

Anyway, as far as the ban goes, to my knowledge there is also no provision for pitbull pups that need to be socialized. Would one have to muzzle a 12 week old pup? Is the pup allowed to attend puppy class without a muzzle so he/she can be properly trained and socialized? If this law is about bite prevention, then it's totally missed the mark. Without provisions that allow for proper training and socialization, how can us "responsible owners" be expected to take responsibility for dogs that the government won't allow us to train?

Well, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Anyways, thanks again for a great article.

Beckya82
September 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM
I wrote to Christina as well;
Christina,
" I just read your article "Barking Up the Wrong Tree" and wanted to say thank you. Thank you for doing your research and realizing that not all pit bulls are bad. I have a 4 year old pit bull named Abby and she would lick someone to death before she'd ever bite them. You are the first journalist to speak out against the ban and I think it is just awesome. You pointed out a lot of good facts and hopefully people will start realizing it's not that pit bulls are bad dogs, some just unfortunately get bad owners. "

I think all pit bull owners and lovers should write a thank you to her for standing up against all the negative media.

love my dogs
September 1st, 2005, 08:09 PM
Yes, I agree. She needs to know that we are reading and appreciating. Maybe with our support she will write more articles on the subject.

BullLover
September 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Here's mine:

Dear Christina:

I am writing to say a very big thank you to you for writing an article about all dangerous dogs, not just Pitbulls. As a mother of 3 (dogs that is), I have no concerns that my dogs will ever "attack" somone. My dogs are well brought up and have exceptional manners. Maybe it is because they were all socialized and have had obedience training. I will ad that I am a responsible pet owner and I would never leave my dogs unattended. I have 3 young neices and nephews that hardly know my dogs, yet can play with them, lie on them, and pull at them with no worries. I remember when Dobermans were the "attack dog" of choice. Yes, I say of choice. I believe that people need something or someone to be afraid of. I have never been bit by a Pitbull, however I have been bit by a German Shepard and a Schnauzer (the family pet). There are many "dangerous dogs" out there, not only Pitbulls, but others as well. I also want to add that my father, who is in his 60's, was terrified when I decided that I was going to get a Pitbull. He wouldn't come over without having the dogs put away, now loves them and has no problems with them whatsoever. My friend's grandmother can not tell what a Pitbull is. She has two Boxers and her grandmother thinks they are Pitbulls. I guess some people will just never know the joys of owning one. Thank you very much for your time and article. I hope that you will write many more, hopefully getting through to people who are very narrow minded.

"But I guarantee you that behind every violent dog, there's a violent owner."
Excellent!

Thanks again!!