Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Super Duper Affectionate Cat

StinkyT
September 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM
I have a 7 month old Siamese mix. He's been fixed and is typical Siamese hyper and vocal. My problem is that he is way too affectionate. We give him the run of the house along with our other cat and they sometimes sleep with us at night.

He has a habit of getting all lovey at 4am in the morning, purring like a diesel engine, climbing all over us, nuzzling us, rubbing his head and somersaulting all over body parts (feet, elbows, etc.) and just plain being a pest. We push him off the bed with a firm "no" and we repeat it for about 10 minutes until one of us has had enough and we lock him out of the room.

He used to nestle right in my neck and knead me. He would get so blissed out he would drool all over me, which was kind of cute (and gross) at the beginning but for the past 2 months we decided to stop this habit and firmly push him away whenever he tries to nuzzle.

Short of permanently locking the cats out of the room at night, which I'm not eager on doing... the bed is theirs too, is there any way we can stop this annoying habit? I know he's just showing his love but once he starts it doesn't stop and 4am is mighty early to have to deal with this. Any advice would be great, thank you!

jessi76
September 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM
LOL!!! me too... I have a 1yr calico who insists on laying ON my head, kneading my hair and head and nuzzling into my ear and drooling every night.

advice for stopping it? Nope, sorry. Personally, I don't punish my cats for showing affection, no matter what time of day.

btw - welcome to the board. we'd love to see pics of the snuggle-monster if you feel like posting some.

StinkyT
September 1st, 2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I don't want to punish him, we love when he talks and purrs and rubs up against us. I just want to sleep through the night without having to do battle of the wills and I don't want to lock them out of the room.

If he snuggled and then settled down for the night I would be happy, I love feeling a warm, lump by my feet.. especially on those colder nights! I guess we'll just have to keep "teaching" him, although I'm sure he's thinking the same with us. LOL. He's still a kitten, so maybe he'll calm down a little as he gets a little older. ;)

Here he is, full of the devil, ready to make a leap for the camera! :evil:

Blaze01
September 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Blaze use to do this all the time...at first it was cute but then it got annoying and I had to get some sleep for work the next day. Everynight before I go to bed I wear him out! Play with him with a lazer light or his favorite toy. This almost always works for Blaze...
Good Luck

jessi76
September 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
What a handsome devil!

Writing4Fun
September 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
Agreed! What a cutie-pie! :love:

StinkyT
September 1st, 2005, 05:54 PM
Wow, I didn't realize how big the picture was. Sorry about that.

I think I should reiterate that he's a Siamese. :p Apparently they don't tire out, maybe they run on magic or something...

Otherwise, does anyone have any more tips for this energizer kitty?

SarahLynn123
September 1st, 2005, 06:33 PM
I had the same problem and sometimes still do! One thing I do is feed him soft food right before bed (he has access to hard food and water at all times) I find he sleeps better and longer with a full belly! Other then that we try to play before bed but if those dont work he gets locked out of my room and can try again the next night.

I found after a week of being put out of the room he figured it out. Now he just needs a reminder about once a month!

Once he ran out of hard food and I didn't notice and thats why he was being lovey dovey, poor guy was hungary. I felt soooo terrible so now I check his food every night before bed when he gets his canned food.

Hope some of this helps.