Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Enlarged Heart/Water on Heart- NEED HELP!

tuffy
September 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Hello petowners and lovers!
I am extremely upset with the news my vet has given me regarding the fate of my 8yr. old male pekingese (Tuffy- 'cause he's tuff:)
1 month ago I first noticed a cough from him after a lot of physical exertion- mainly scratching due to a severe case of seborrehea. I thought he was just getting old and since it wasn't often I waited 2weeks before bringing him to the vet.
The vet first checked his heart- strong and great- no leaky valves. Then he took an x-ray. He told me his heart is twice the size of a regular one and has fluid around it. There was no fluid found in his abdomen and lungs. He is on a slew of drugs- vetmedin, novosemide, and fortekor. The vet gives him a month to live and no real reason why this has happened. In all my reading I have NOT found an enlarged heart and fluid retention around the heart to be the only signs of an extreme case of heart failure. In fact all of my research tells me pulmonary edema and pleural effusion are what is common- no real mention of fluid around the heart.
SO, I hope there is someone out there who might know of some cause...or something this might be??? Has anyone expereienced Congestive Heart Failure in their pet without leaking heart valves, without murmors, arrithymias(sp?), no pulmonary edema, or abdomen edema.
He is also on phenobard, and has been for 6yrs due to seizures.
I appreciate all help/advice!!!

justncase
September 1st, 2005, 01:35 PM
There was a case of a 12 year old cocker spaniel by the name of Sweet Pea. Congestive heart failure. Vet said, only weeks to live. The dog was given hawthorne extract, Coenzyme Q10, Vitamin E, acupuncture(www.ivas.org) and a daily " massage" by the owners. The dog recovered.

shannonRN
September 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Tuffy, I'd have to say that your concerns are not unfounded and would recommend a second opinion (from a vet, that is). It seems like you better see someone pretty quickly though. I'm very sorry for your little pooch and hope you come back to us with a better prognosis.