Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hiton Hotels Bending the Rules on Pets due to Katrina

twodogsandacat
August 31st, 2005, 11:13 PM
While reading about the devastation of Katrina I came across this quote at http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9143371/.

“They were barking this morning. There are dogs throughout our lobby kind of hanging out with their owners. It’s a zoo here.”
— Anna Drake, spokeswoman for Hilton Americas hotel in Houston, who estimated more than 100 animals, including birds, hamsters and rabbits, were now guests at the hotel. Hotels are relaxing their policies, allowing Hurricane Katrina evacuees to keep their pets with them.

People are suffering and for many that suffering is compounded by having to leave their pets behind. It is truly heartwarming to know that rules bend in such situations not just for humans but also for what may be somebody's only source of comfort in all of this...their pets. Hilton is now one of my preferred hotels. :thumbs up

As for leaving pets behind during an emergency like this, the HSUS has this recomendation.
http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/the_hsus_offers_tips_for_pet_owners_as_hurricane_k atrina_moves_west.html

StaceyB
August 31st, 2005, 11:17 PM
When I stayed in the Hilton in Toronto I had brought Montana because he was still a puppy(7 mon) and was attending the All about pets trade show with me as a demo dog. I stayed there because pets are allowed.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 5th, 2005, 07:32 AM
It is really great to hear that about those kind of stories. Especially after what they have gone through. I still can't believe it. I hold back tears everytime I speak with one of the victims.

StaceyB
September 5th, 2005, 07:50 AM
I would guess that many who were able to use their cell phones right after no longer have power to them. Are you still receiving lots of calls?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 5th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I receive about 5 calls a day from NO. The networks are coming back slowly they say. They can make calls roaming on other networks. 50 cents a minute, but their charges are waived right now. So I tell them to call as much as they need to.