Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canker sores

raingirl
August 31st, 2005, 10:05 PM
Sorry. This is a bit of a whiney rant.

I have always been prone to canker sores. They usually come one when I'm stressed. With all the car stuff last week, it's no surprising I got one now.

Well, guess what? It's on my TONSILS!! It is driving me MAD. Every time I swallow it kills! I didn't know you could get them there, but I called my doc and she said that you can, and only to come see her if it's not gone in a week.

And STUPID me decides tonight that I will put some ambesol type stuff on it to numb it. BAD IDEA! I ended up hitting my gag reflex with the qtip with ambesol on it, and the back of my tongue. I hate how that freezing feel leaves me, and it made my throat feel all funny and....well, lets just say that my dinner didn't stay down.

So...the lesson here, don't put ambesol on a canker sore on your tonsils if you have a sensitive gag reflex!! :yuck:

twinmommy
August 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Canker sores are a result of high acidity. (Set off by stress, diet, etc as you know--poor you!!)

Gargle with baking soda and warm water. This will help the ph levels return to normal, neutralizing the acid as baking soda is very basic.

Lissa
August 31st, 2005, 10:38 PM
OMG what a disaster - poor you! I never knew you could get it on your tonsil either - that is just mean!

I get them too but only on the inside of my bottom lip...I find that brushing it hard, no matter how painful helps me...

I hope it goes away fast! :love:

Prin
September 1st, 2005, 01:39 AM
I ate 11 clementines once and got them all the way down my throat. I had to go to the hospital... They gave me Tantum- it's like scope but it numbs. Whenever I smoked when I was younger, I would get an allergic reaction (kids aren't too bright sometimes) and about a week later, I'd have my tonsils covered. It's like fire in the back of your throat.

Ambesol kills though! On the commercials, they're all "mmm, ambesol!" but it's more like "OW OW OW OW OW Stupid $#%@ing ambesol!!!"

Gargling with salt water, aspirin water, listerine... I have done them all, but the only thing that remotely works is trying not to think about it and staying away from all citrus, juice and CHOCOLATE. I don't know why, but chocolate and cankers don't mix at all!! It totally hurts when you eat chocolate. :rolleyes:

Good luck. At least it's in a place where you can't bite it and make it worse and worse and worse! :D