Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs ate raw beef

mom of rotties
August 31st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hey all just wondering what if anything could happen to my girls. Seems I am a little stupid today and left ground beef on the counter.Went outside to meet the electicians working on my lines. When I came back in the house they had all of it eaten. They ate between the two about 1 pound (not sure if they split it evenly....lol)My husband keeps telling me treat them like children but often I forget(bad dog owner). Any insight would be helpful as i have never experienced this before.

Daizy
August 31st, 2005, 04:35 PM
They should be okay - as raw meat is the dogs natural diet in the wild, unless of course the modern wild dog has learnt the art of cooking! :)

Jackie467
August 31st, 2005, 04:45 PM
They should be fine. Lots of people feed their dog raw diets which include raw hamburger. But I'v heard bad things about feeding that with kibble. You may want to skip the kibble tonight, but then I don't know a lot about it I'm sure someone else will.

what I heard was that the kibble slows down digestion which means the meat may remain in the GI tract too long causing problems.

Sorry I'm not much help, hopfully someone who knows more will see this post.

heeler's rock!
August 31st, 2005, 05:30 PM
I think all should be fine. Definitely skip kibble tonight as Jackie said. When raw mixes with kibble, it stays in the digestive tract longer, thus making it more possible for them to catch bugs like e.coli and such. Raw takes about 6 hours to digest in a dog's stomach, and kibble takes about 12. Skipping feeding tonight will just ensure that all of the beef has infact digested. :o

epundt
August 31st, 2005, 05:35 PM
If they are house dogs, watch for really really loose poop.
Eileene

mom of rotties
August 31st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help. I was going to feed them supper but I guess they will do without.I just can't believe how stupid I was, what was I thinking.

coppperbelle
August 31st, 2005, 08:28 PM
Don't beat yourself up about it. My mother had a standard poodle that ate 6 filet mignon steaks off the counter. That was an expensive lesson.

mom of rotties
September 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM
Well all is back to normal. Boy were they hungry this morning. I still have the problem of one of the dogs jumping up to the counter. She wiltake anything, even when we are in the house.Spoons, dish cloth I mean anything. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior......we clean everything off but she still gets up there.

Dog Dancer
September 1st, 2005, 07:02 PM
That's funny - sorry. Watch for messy poop and that should be the end of it (so to speak...) Probably nothing will happen that way either though. One of my old dogs ate an SOS pad :eek: She survived... Last night while BF was cooking dinner he was talking to someone and held a wooden spoon down low - just happened to hold it right in front of Halo's nose so she thought she was being offered a taste :rolleyes: She liked it! BF was not as amused - I thought it was funny and told him it was his fault it looked like he was offering it to her! Dogs will be dogs - that's why we love em.

heidiho
September 1st, 2005, 07:15 PM
Not to change the subject but do u have pics of your rotts??I love them.

Lucky Rescue
September 1st, 2005, 08:53 PM
Don't feel bad. I had a foster dog who ate one pound of margarine off my counter.:D

Hamburger, because it's handled so much, can have bacteria in it but dogs can handle it - after all, they are carnivores!

Rottielover
September 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM
Harley gets a LB of ground raw beef a week, divided by 7 days of course. It is pretty good for their diet. Extra protien. And iron. He does very well with it

mom of rotties
September 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
I do have some pictures but have to getthem smaller as the program will not let me upload them. Says they are to big. Both of my girls are rotti mix. Not sure of the mix but I love them both.Also have a pound kitty she is about 14 (almost 15 )Hopefully I will figure out how to get the pics to work.

Trinitie
September 2nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Dr. Stanley Coren, a renouned pet psychologist, recommends this:
(not a word for word quote, but you'll get the idea)

A dog will try to get stuff of the counter, usually when the human isn't in the room. (unless yours are different) The idea is to scare the dog into thinking its been caught. Place a long bit of cardboard, or a piece of wood, so most of it hangs over the ledge of the counter. Place a tin can, with marbles or something, on the counter, resting on the cardboard or wood. When the dog jumps and puts it's feet on the counter, the board falls, knocking the tin can over, scaring the dog. For some reason it thinks that its been caught and gets scared away. Reset your trap when the dog isn't looking. Keep doing this until the dog gets the idea that the noise only happens when it jumps up.

I'm including a little drawing, because I don't think I'm very good at explaining things very clearly.

I hope this helps!

mom of rotties
September 2nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Thank for the advice I am going to try this tonight. We will see what happens.

mom of rotties
September 2nd, 2005, 08:00 PM
This is my son CeJay and Betsy. She is a rottie mix (with what we are not sure)

Shaykeija
September 3rd, 2005, 12:27 AM
When I was a teenager many moons ago, we had a St Benard named Toby. Toby weighed in at 225 pounds. Big beautiful slopper machine. Anyway every year at the end of summer we would have a big BBQ. Porterhouse steaks. My brother left them on the deck to thaw. We were outside and I asked where Toby was. Sure enough that dog ate 6 porterhouse steaksickles. Paper and all. And if you can imagine how much poop a dog that size can produce, double that and you got what that dog manufactured after all that steak. I still laugh when I remember the look on my step fathers face. :p